X

Front break pads position

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front break pads position

I bought my bike used 3 months ago. For the first time, since I bought it, I suspended the front wheel. I noticed that when I spin the front wheel, it doesn't spin freely. It creates a squeeky sound resulting from the roter touching the break pads.
    I think the break pads are slightly touching the roters. Is it normal, or I should adjust the break pads a little?

i don't think there is an adjustment persay on the pads, but you could have a hanging brake piston. what you could do is hcange the fluid, if yo don't know when it was last done, maybe tear the calipers apart and clean them up and rebuild if you do in dead have a dragging caliper. Also you could first try polishing or putting little bit of lube on the pins that the pads hold on to.

i am sure some others will chime in with some great advise also.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

you should hear the pad lightly touch the rotor.
      After all there is nothing to make it retract
      (no springs etc) It shouldn't drag too much but the wheel shouldn't spin like a bicycle either..

The calipers should be cleaned / rebuilt at some point but a bit early for an '03...

Comment

With the brake lever not being squeezed, you should be able to push the pads backwards a little (maybe 1/2 mm), enough that they don't drag. If that's not the case, I would recommend doing a caliper rebuild (which is a misnomer -- you're just cleaning some parts and replacing a couple seals)...

Far more importantly -- what do the pads look like? A stuck caliper piston will normally cause the pad to wear unevenly front-to-rear, making it easier to spot that way. A good close-up pic of the pads (still mounted to the bike) would make seeing if there is an issue much simpler.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          With the brake lever not being squeezed, you should be able to push the pads backwards a little (maybe 1/2 mm), enough that they don't drag. If that's not the case, I would recommend doing a caliper rebuild (which is a misnomer -- you're just cleaning some parts and replacing a couple seals)...

Far more importantly -- what do the pads look like? A stuck caliper piston will normally cause the pad to wear unevenly front-to-rear, making it easier to spot that way. A good close-up pic of the pads (still mounted to the bike) would make seeing if there is an issue much simpler.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          I did this and used marine grease instead of autogrease....it made a WORLD of difference.

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
            I did this and used marine grease instead of autogrease....it made a WORLD of difference.
            On the caliper pistons, or on the rods the pads ride on?

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

or your front bearings could be shot, or your bolts torqued to tight? could be a possibility

easy to check.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Working...
              X