X

Kick stand issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick stand issues

My kick stand whacks my exhaust pipe every time I retract it. I looked into it and it looks like there is too much space between the kick stand and the bracket it bolts to. When I set the bike down it leans out and then moves further out as I take my weight off of it. I tried tightening the bolt/nut but they are already run down all the way it seems.

It seems to me the leg of the stand should sit further away from the bike then it does. Should I take it off and smack it with a hammer to close the gap up and move it outboard ?
    My bike: 1990 Katana GSX750-F

My 94 600 does the same thing. It looks like the hole in the tab the kick stand bolts to is elongated on mine. Same topic came up a while back. Try the search to see what the suggested fix was.
    “If you don’t like change, you will like being irrelevant even less.”
    -Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld

2002 DRZ400E
    1994 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodeous View Post
      When I set the bike down it leans out and then moves further out as I take my weight off of it.
      So that isn't normal?

Mine does that too. Set the bike on the stand, start to remove weight and it slides out about 2" more and stops. Maybe I need to take a look at mine too before I find it laying on the ground?

Comment

Hey, I had the same issue a few weeks back and posted it here:
        Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
        From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
        this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

I just got my stand in for the rear wheel, and I have a new kickstand and spring now (well salvage), so I'm going to give that a go and see how it goes!

Comment

I had the exact same problem on mine. The mounting hole was elongated and there is nothing to buy to fix it. I actually took a socket holder of of a cheap 1/4 socket rail and cut out the size I needed and worked it into the hole. Getting the bolt started was the hard part but once it threaded it went all the way through. It was real stiff when it first was in, but after lubing and just using it, it is great. Now my kickstand barely has any play once it is on the ground and it does not hit my exhaust anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by cpullman View Post
            I had the exact same problem on mine. The mounting hole was elongated and there is nothing to buy to fix it. I actually took a socket holder of of a cheap 1/4 socket rail and cut out the size I needed and worked it into the hole. Getting the bolt started was the hard part but once it threaded it went all the way through. It was real stiff when it first was in, but after lubing and just using it, it is great. Now my kickstand barely has any play once it is on the ground and it does not hit my exhaust anymore.
            There is indeed something to buy to fix it. It's called bushing material, and you drill the hole out, insert bushing, and vwolla! Nice new hole for kickstand bolt.

Comment

if you don't want that to happen, then don't sit on your bike while it is on the side stand. sitting on your bike like that is what "jumpstarts" the process. the heavier you are, the faster it will start.

it's basic physics, and I am limited in physics. but I do know that if you are pushing 200+, and you are sitting your fat azz (humor) on your bike with your feet up on the pegs, that little bracket is straining, and it starts spreading apart, and this creates play....or as I like to call it, "slop". this also slightly throws the two holes out of alignment because they don't spread straight out...it bends angular, which causes more friction from the bolt....out of alignment friction, which makes the hole oval shaped. no sh*t, I have torn apart parts bikes where even the bolt itself was bent.

get it? now you see what I mean when I say you should not be sitting on your bike while it is on the kick stand? it's designed to support the bike, not hold a full grown human being as well.
              btw, my bike is 20 years old, and the kick stand is like new. apparently the original owner before me was like myself, and did not make a habit of sitting on his bike. I have done it a couple of times, but I am careful not to bare too much weight or jiggle around too much. if anything, I will lean more than anything, and even relieve a bit of pressure from the stand. if I see someone sit on my bike like that, my natural instinct will be to slap them in the back of the head and tell them to gtf off. depending who it is, that could very well be what happens.

I have had people try to convince me it was normal wear from putting it up and down, or that it was vibrations and such from riding. my response to that has always been, "bullsh*t...if your kickstand is like that, it's because someone has been sitting on it while it was parked".

but hey...that's just my theory, and I have never heard anyone come up with any other reason that makes more sense to me. if you have one, by all means, please enlighten me. all I know is I don't make a habit of sitting on my bike, and my side stands always work perfectly. go figure.

be honest guys.....you sit on your bikes when you stop for a break from riding, don't ya? it's perfectly "normal", if so, and a gazillion people do it...but eventually that side stand will get sloppy.
              Last edited by Mojoe; 08-17-2011, 03:38 AM.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                be honest guys.....you sit on your bikes when you stop for a break from riding, don't ya? it's perfectly "normal", if so, and a gazillion people do it...but eventually that side stand will get sloppy.
                Nope, not me. I just bought mine about a week ago and it was like that when I got it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
                  Nope, not me. I just bought mine about a week ago and it was like that when I got it.
                  well the previous owner must have.

many of the 600 and 750 come without a center stand, don't they?
                  could also be that the bike was trailered once or twice with the bike on the side stand. all it takes is one decent bump in the road to bend that bracket just a bit, which will result in what I mentioned above. Never do that! I know for a fact that you can totally trash the side stand doing that. I had a bike end up on it's side on the trailer because that happened. fortunately it was on old junker that I bought just to part out.

all I can say for certain is that an oval hole means the bracket that holds the stand in bent. it doesn't take much of a bend. and that means it was under more pressure than it was designed to be.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

HI Guys! I have a kick stand question/conundrum... twice now, after putting the stand down, making sure it's alllll the way down and forward, the front wheel turned as far in left as possible.. when I dismount the kick stand has popped back up and the bike has gone down. I'm very nervous about it now and it's freakin' me out! After reading some of the threads, I'll take a look at the bolts etc.. but has anyone else had this type of issue and any ideas on a remedy? I'm 5'1", 125lb... picking up 500lb's+ is a b**ch!
                    The surface is a factor as it's paved but covered with small gravel. Always a little sketchy but it happened the first time when I had a stand plate on the surface. I could be wrong, but I don't think the small amount of shift when dismounting should cause the kick stand to flip up.

Comment

Originally posted by GGsgsx View Post
                      HI Guys! I have a kick stand question/conundrum... twice now, after putting the stand down, making sure it's alllll the way down and forward, the front wheel turned as far in left as possible.. when I dismount the kick stand has popped back up and the bike has gone down. I'm very nervous about it now and it's freakin' me out! After reading some of the threads, I'll take a look at the bolts etc.. but has anyone else had this type of issue and any ideas on a remedy? I'm 5'1", 125lb... picking up 500lb's+ is a b**ch!
                      The surface is a factor as it's paved but covered with small gravel. Always a little sketchy but it happened the first time when I had a stand plate on the surface. I could be wrong, but I don't think the small amount of shift when dismounting should cause the kick stand to flip up.
                      1- Has your bike been lowered? If so, did you modify your kickstand for the new height?
                      2- Was your bike in gear or in neutral?
                      Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the reply! The seat setting is on the lowest setting, but no mods have been done. The bike was in gear, key turned completely to the off position. This is a new bike to me so I've been very conscience of "getting to know her". This issue has caught me completely off guard as I've never experienced it with any other bike and though new to me.. I've put on 1000 miles since Feb. The spring is tight,but I don't think it's too tight. The bolts and so forth all look good. No rust or metal fatigue.
                        If the lowering of the seat to the lowest setting requires an adjustment to the kick stand.. how is this done??
                        I always put the bike in gear when I park... It may have slipped into neutral and that would explain the roll forward.
                        I'll certainly be more diligent about making sure it's in 1st from now on!
                        thanks much!
                        GG

Comment

I was having issues with my stand. I replaced the springs and haven't had a tip over since.
                          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I didn't know the post Kats had adjustable seats. :

Unless you put on lowering links and/or modified or replaced the shock that shouldn't bee too much of an issue. Look at your kickstand and make sure it's tight and functioning properly.
                            Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

A buddy and I were out for a ride today
                              we stopped in a gravel parking lot under some trees for shade
                              I was off the bike and on the oposite side of the stand
                              I heard tick ,tick, tick
                              Something made we walk around and check
                              It was slowly creeping forward
                              Guess I didnt make sure the stand was fully forward/down
                              Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Working...
                              X