X

93 Katana to use 88 Katana carbs to be or not to be that is the question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 Katana to use 88 Katana carbs to be or not to be that is the question

I have a 93 Katana 600, and I bought some carbs which I thought were the same and they are completly different they are from an 88 Katana, they will seat in the intake boots with a nice seal even thought they have a small diameter, than the original carbs the choke is on the side of the carbs not on the left hand side control like the 93's.

Now feasiblly can these carbs be used or should I be looking again for another set, my 2 right side carbs on the originals the tubes which I believe are for the choke circuit, are broke flush off at the top, where the tube goes form the bottom to the top of the carb I think it is copper, plus one of those little nubs on top the outer right carb is broken off on the top right by the diaphram
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeiger; 08-08-2011, 03:40 PM.

Don't use 88 carbs on a 92. They are a different diamater.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

88 carbs

If I cannot use the 88 carbs if anyone has an 88 I will be selling them back on ebay where I got them from, I paid 99.99, with 18.00 shipping and supposedly the bike ran last year. They are fairly clean, the one cap if you look in my pics has a ding in it, and the choke works smoothly which I cannot say form my 93 carbs

Comment

The choke ube tubes can be replaced in your 93 carbs (model store fuel brass fuel line)and you could probably find another cap. The part that broke is the sync port. Even if you get a good seal at the intake boots the boots on the airbox are A LOT bigger and wouldn't seal.
        When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

so are you saying a model store would have these lines to replace my 93 tubes? I am trying to clarify

Thanks

Comment

A hobby store would carry tubing the same or near the same size. Should also carry the tools to cut, bend, and expand the tubing to make the parts needed.

They will NOT have pre cut, pre formed made parts that you need. It's an alternative to fix it yourself without having to replace them.

It's also something your gonna need to explore and research specific details yourself on... so far, no one has posted a "how too" on doing this...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

A while back someone came close to a how to but used brass nipples and rubber fuel line. Actually looked pretty good with orange fuel line.
              When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

No I understand that Kreylyn I knew I would have to make it myself, but I was just making sure I understood you about who had the pieces I would need to get

Thanks

Comment

So I just wanted to make sure before I listed these carbs back up on ebay.

Even if I got the 88 airbox that they would not work for me.

Thanks

Comment

You'd also have to swap the intake boots on the motor.

I don't see 88 carbs as any improvement/benefit.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

It can be done, for sure. But the 88-89 600 carbs blow. You would also need a different pet cock. The 88-89 600 only has 1 fuel line. The 90-97 has two. And yeah, you'd need different intake boots. The sync ports for the 88-89 600 are on the boots. 90-97 600 are on the covers of the carbs themselves.

Comment

The only improvement was to be a better working set, working choke, and a quicker fix than the 93 carbs with broken choke circuit tubes, sync port.

that was the main reason

Comment

Originally posted by Jeiger View Post
                          The only improvement was to be a better working set, working choke, and a quicker fix than the 93 carbs with broken choke circuit tubes, sync port.

that was the main reason
                          By the time you get the 88 set to actually work on your bike you will have more time and money invested than if you just fixed the 93, or purchased a set that is ready to bolt on, and you will still have the wrong carbs for your engine.
                          Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Alright well I posted them back up on ebay for sale.

Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                            X