X

TIP: The magical magnet wand - intake clamps

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIP: The magical magnet wand - intake clamps

There are a million great things a magnetic wand can do -- not the least is just to dig some nut or other part out of the crooks and cranny's of an engine when you drop them. (By the way -- go ahead and buy one because it is a real bummer to drop the nut down in the engine and autozone has already closed for the evening and you great evening of fun working on the bike suddenly ends!)

TIP 1: When I am working on getting a bolt or nut out - that is likely to fall off into the chasm never to return --I just hold the magnetic wand a bit to the side of the screwdriver/wrench but touching the bolt - and when it breaks free -- well, it doesn't fall -- it sticks to the magnet and I get the bolt out without a hassle.

TIP 2: But this one was a new idea to me and worked great. With all the warnings to be sure your screw clamps are on top of the intakes when re-assembling the carbs to the bike and the airbox to the carbs (thanks Special K and others) -- sometimes we fail - OR the darn things just fall off down to the bottom anyway.

Well, I pulled out my trusty magnetic wand and just used it to rotate the clamp and pull the screw clamp to the top. Just be aware that on some of these intakes there is only one direction with enough clearance to do this -- but still, saved me from pulling the whole thing off and putting them back on again!
    Last edited by bmwerman; 08-06-2011, 09:03 AM.
Working...
X