X

Vibration Damage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration Damage

I changed my sprockets awhile ago to 14/49 and it's pretty buzzy after I bring up the rpm's. So my question is this, Will the added vibration hurt anything, what should I be keeping an eye out for. Will the sprocket change shorten the life of the bike? No one better to turn to then You....
    2003 gsx600f (the yellow one)
    vortex sprockets,D&D slip on,c/f led lights
    JIM's cowl, mesh, clearalt's ds signal, zero gravity ds screen

The only consequences should be:

(A) Reduced chain life. The chain generally experiences about 7.25% more torque, and also has to turn tighter to clear that front sprocket, so those add up to shorter chain life.

(B) Shorter sprocket life. Shorter chain life usually means shorter sprocket life, because sprockets start to wear hard when chains start to stretch out.

(C) Rear tires shouldn't last quite as long (each detonation of a cylinder hits the tire a bit harder than with the stock gear ratio).

(D) Some bearings may have a bit shorter lifespan, but the difference between a 15 year lifespand and a 12 year lifespan is hard to see. The only ones I'd keep an eye on would be the rear wheel bearings, as they are now taking a bit more punishment than normal, but even they shouldn't fail significantly faster than usual. The main engine bearings shouldn't be affected at all because they ride in pressurized journals of oil (centrifically pressurized).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: Vibration Damage

Originally posted by QuickKat
      I changed my sprockets awhile ago to 14/49 and it's pretty buzzy after I bring up the rpm's. So my question is this, Will the added vibration hurt anything, what should I be keeping an eye out for. Will the sprocket change shorten the life of the bike? No one better to turn to then You....
      the 'buzz' has always been there - it is a problem with all inline 4's. the sprocket change has probably brought the rpm that you ride into the buzzy zone ~ 5000 rpms. shift up or down one gear. if you commute
      - on the highway and you just can't get around it ( the buzz ) you may want to go back to the stock gearing. ( you can gain some of the torque with other mods )

the more you grip the bars the more you will notice it.

tim

Comment

don't forget get when you changed the stock front spocket you put one on with no rubber on it this will add to the vibe and the noise
        it would not be any fun if it was easy! but does it have to be this much fun!!
        Give A Person Expetations To Live Up To Not to A Reputition To Live Down !!

Comment

Working...
        X