X

rebuild help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebuild help

I am running into road block after road block in getting this bike back together. My latest problem is the choke. It doesnt move. even when I removed it from the bike, I cant get the cable to move at all. And the choke on the carbs seems solid too. Am I mistaking something? First time ever really tearing into a bike so I am not really that familiar.

You have to separate the carbs, at least remove #1 and #4 from the assembly. Remove the choke plunger from the carburetor bodies and clean the passage well. Then put the plungers back in and test them to make sure they open easily and snap shut on their own. Then put the carburetor assembly back into a set of 4 and reinstall. What year and cc's is your bike?
    Last edited by arsenic; 07-31-2011, 01:57 PM.

Comment

If you can't get the cable to move at all or it hangs up then you've got rust inside and it needs to be replaced. Next thing to look at is the choke slide on the carbs, themselves. Disconnect the cable and try moving it with your thumb. If it won't move then remove the slide bar as Arsenic suggests and try moving each of the plungers one at a time. It's not uncommon for them to freeze up in an unused bike since they're lubed by the gas in the carbs.Only thing for it is to break them loose.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by flcmbt View Post
        I am running into road block after road block in getting this bike back together. My latest problem is the choke. It doesnt move. even when I removed it from the bike, I cant get the cable to move at all. And the choke on the carbs seems solid too. Am I mistaking something? First time ever really tearing into a bike so I am not really that familiar.
        Pretty sure he did that.

Comment

I am not sure from reading the op if he tried the choke cable disconnected or not.

If the cable does not move while disconnected, then the problem is either the choke controls or the cble itself.

If it does, then the proble is the plunger bar or 1 or more plungers, dependant on the year and model, he may be able to loosen the clips on the plungers, or remove the plastic clips and the slider bar so he can check the plungers individually.
          "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. When I bought the bike, the cable was already disconnected. The cable is solid, it has zero play in it, so I came to the conclusion that this needs to be replaced. I have been working on the wiring for the last day and a half, so when I finish that, I will try taking the carbs apart, and working on the plungers, as they are not moving either. The slider wants to move, but one or few, or all seem frozen.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I did what Arsenic said, separated the carbs, removed the plungers, freed them up, and reinstalled. Now they slide like new. Cheers guys. Ordered a new clutch cable, because it was straight up seized. Nothing to be done. Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
              X