X

Petcock problem (I think)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock problem (I think)

So I just had the carbs cleaned on my 2004 600 katana, and after I parked the thing overnight in the garage I went out there and there was the overpowering smell of fuel. For some reason I decided to turn the petcock from 'on' to reserve/prime and back to 'on' and noticed fuel leaking from it. So I took off the tank to have a closer look, and sure enough the insides of the bike were soaked in fuel underneath where the petcock sits. I then went over to the tank which was sitting on the ground and twisted the petcock from on, to reserve (or prime... whatever) and back to 'on' and it started DRAINING fuel while in the on position as if it were still in prime. I took the petcock apart and nothing seemed to be wrong with the insides, except I suspect perhaps the spring might be too weak to force the seal shut when I turn it back to the on position (although I didn't notice anything visibly wrong with the spring... it just felt weak). As it stands now, anytime the fuel line is above the petcock (whenever I tip the fuel tank right side up) and the petcock is in the on position, fuel runs out of the thing like there's no tomorrow.

Does anyone have any ideas from this brief description what could be wrong? Does it sound like the spring is worn out (too weak) or am I missing an o-ring problem? There doesn't seem to be anything visibly wrong with the o-rings when I took it apart. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

okay, so I just found this from the katrider petcock wiki:
    ---
    A Katana petcock is said to be defective when any of the following issues occur:

1. The petcock permits the flow of fuel in RES or ON without the engine running; this is the most common failure. This is typically caused by either debris [usually rust] build-up in the vacuum-diaphragm passage that the spring would shut off (debris), or by the spring itself no longer being strong enough to do the job (defective spring), or by the synthetic rubber diaphragm being torn/defective. These issues can normally be resolved with a petcock rebuild kit.
    ---

So if my problem is debris in the vaccum-diaphragm passage, shouldn't I be able to visibly see that and clear it? Likewise, shouldn't I be able to see/feel the diaphragm being torn? I'm guessing the spring is worn, but it seems odd that the spring would no longer be strong enough on a 2004 katana (not that old, obviously).
    Last edited by swashbuckler; 07-28-2011, 07:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

look into rebuilding or replacing the petcock...
    im not a fan of rebuilding them as they do wear and a rebuild is usually a short fix.
    not always but only about 75% of the ones I have rebuild worked properly for years.

you also need to address the carbs again. the float valves are not sealing properly either.
    when I bench test carbs I leave them on the bench with fuel directly attached. if there is any leaks even overnight the float valves are cleaned and or replaced.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Thanks!

Is this an acceptable replacement?:

Comment

yeah that will work
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I am having the same issue - haven't taken the tank off yet - but I know now that it's the petcock - fuel is dripping out from the knob port itself! I would rather just replace the whole petcock - i clicked both of your links and neither has anything; so if anyone has another place for me to find a new petcock for an '04 GSXF Katana, i would be much obliged!!!

Thanks ya'll

Comment

Working...
          X