Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

06 katana 750 - revs to 14,000 on start up!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06 katana 750 - revs to 14,000 on start up!

Hello all - I posted this under "what I did today with my katana" but thought that it would get a better reply here --- so reposting.

The bike is an 06' Katana 750 - with 2,000 miles - burgundy - pretty clean except some rash where it fell off the kickstand (I would guess more than a few times). i paid -- $2,650 -- So I think even if I have take it in for a real repair I should still have a good ride for a good investment. And, for the list - yes, I have both the Haynes and the actual service manual for the bike - in .PDF form on my mac.

I bought this one on craigslist. When i went to look at it, the guy tried to start it and it hesitated and then revved unevenly and spat out and then leaked out about a gallon of gas out the airbox (or maybe it was mostly from the drain tube) --

I left and came back a few days later -- he said he had cleaned it up and tried it again -- and it did the same thing. He had totally cleaned it up again and had all the fairings off of it. He dropped the price considerably - more than I was going to try to bargain him down to. So I bought it.

I have spent a couple of days trying to get it ready to run.

So I did what any rank amateur mechanic would do -- googled my way to this forum and several others --

I'm no real mechanic, but the price and the newness of the bike (right at 2000 miles) - I decided I could get it running or as a last resort take it somewhere.

And it seems that:

yes, the guy left it on PRI most all winter - till he noticed a puddle of gas - then he just disconnected the gas tank - so when he put it back on recently -- after a few days -- hey, it leaked all the gas out again -- still on PRI
    then he tried to start it and it blew and leaked most of the gas out the airbox (maybe the drain tube too?)

So, as per advice on what to check out on the forums ---

yes, when I checked, the oil was full of gas -
    yes, I checked the plugs - the 4th one was a bit carboned over - the others were clean but a bit moist w/gas - but just no name standard plugs -- So I put in new NGKs - "9's" to resist fouling.
    yes, as suggested, i drained the carb bowls blew them out a bit (but not a thorough clean yet) -
    yes, I ran three sets of oil changes with two filter changes (I turned the motor over briefly several times with no gas attached and without the plugs)- to get the gas out (I also let it sit a day in between the first and second change). As an aside - I am thinking about using the half-oil/half-synthetic 10W30 Castrol Oil -- any thoughts?

So late yesterday afternoon I put it all back together and gave it a rip -- with the fuelcock set at ON (after 20 seconds of PRI) -- it immediately started -- but zoom - immediately upwards toward 14,000 RPMs.
    i jumped to shut it off (But boy it sounded good going there) --
    Then I played with the idle knob (didn't know where it was set or if the guy had played with it) --

After several minutes and googling again -- and trying to reset the idle --
    I hit the starter -- zoom up towards 12,000 -- well, I cut it off on the way off the tachometer -- some more tinkering and tried again -- still zooming up to higher revvs.

It has a fairly new scorpion muffler and I wondered if it needed new jets for that and doesn't have them yet --

I think I did a good job of getting everything sealed -- hoses, breather, boots to carbs, etc -- (but haven't gone back and sprayed WD40 to check for leaks)

I really would like to try riding this thing instead of just pushing it around my garage making oil and gas spots. It wants to run and I need it to soon - before my wife shoots me and buries me and it in the backyard!

What's my next step -- pull the carbs and go at them seriously?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Check the throttle cables. Make sure the are hooked up correctly and have enough play in them. The cables holding the butterflies open is really the only thing that would make it rev that high.

Comment

Revving 750

Thanks. That would be great if it is just a throttle cable problem -- I'll try it and let you know.

Comment

revving 750 --this is a 2006 if that makes any difference

OK. I have been reading manuals and trying to adjust cables - they adjust - more or less play -- backed the idle way down -- well, til it fell out and then just got it in there a bit --- checked the choke -- it is stiff - so loosened it but

after all I could do --- the butterfly is still at same amount of opening -- about one third -- I was looking through other threads - and saw a guy who was having revving problems -- but not to my extreme -- his butterflies were sitting fully closed --- with no throttle -- hummh

Here's one of those dumb questions -- but dumb is all I have right now concerning this stage of repair...

Are fully closed butterflies the norm for no throttle - almost zero idle and no choke?

I read through the CyberPoet's Carb 101 -- (I couldn't find or access the picture version for some reason -- but couldn't find the three little holes to adjust the idle to (on carb 3) three holes on outside of carb - engine side -- adjust 3 to half full hole -- etc

More info or please tell me to go back to the books and bike -- I have to finish soon -- my mac laptop is getting so greased up I can't get the keys to come back up.

Thanks for the help!!

Comment

Yes, they should be fully closed. If you open them by hand, you should hear the snap shut. CyberPoet didn't write Carbs 101 BTW, Special K did. You can see the holes easy. Open the butterflies by hand. Look at the bottom of the bore. Right above where the pilot jet goes in the float bowl. Those are the three little holes. They are tiny, but easy enough to see.

Comment

Download carbs 101 pdf. to get the pics.
            When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

06 katana revvs on start

OK. Thanks for the advice. Apologies to Special K for the carbs 101 -- I did find and download the one with pix.

Can I assume that to see the three holes you have to have the carbs off the bike and are looking down into the carbs or around the carbs in some way you can't see with them on the bike?

My 06' does not have a vacuum hose on top of the black cap - the carbs seem to be paired 1-2 & 3-4 with vacuum lines that connect via a T piping to a shared hose the two hoses go up and over the air cleaner box and snap in place on top/sides. Next to the drain screw on each carb is a very small nipple -- is that a vacuum outlet that should have hoses on them?

I have tried and I cannot open or close the butterflies by hand -- they set at about 1/4 open and it is about a half a turn of the throttle handle to open them up to - level open (that is fully open). All four are exactly the same.

So, should I pull them off and mess with the adjustment screws or the throttle cables more?

It just seems odd that an 06 with just at 2,000 miles (well, I know it had set for a few months during winter) would have this specific carburetor problem. Unless the previous owners - messed with the carbs for some reason. I think I mentioned before that it has a scorpion exhaust on it -- wondering if someone tried to re-jet them or just already tried to adjust them up --

Since I have the throttle cables totally loose and the idle set to the least affect, what next? ---

Thanks.
              Last edited by bmwerman; 07-22-2011, 09:29 PM.

Comment

You need Carbs 102. Carbs 101 is for pre 98 carbs. Yes, you have to have the carbs off the bike to see the holes.

Comment

I would suggest you remove the carbs, airbox, and air filter.

Take pics of them all, but lots close up of the carbs.

Then post them or links to them here.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

used to rev too high on start -- now purring

Thanks again to Special K and SteveS for the carb 101 and pix.

So, 06' 750 with Scorpion exhaust and now up and running great!

I got up early this morning -- and it was already very hot in OKC - took the carbs off and gave them a good cleaning -- using the carbs 101/pix. It all went very smoothly and when I got them back together I had no missing or extra parts -- not always the case with my repairs.

The butterflies had been stuck at 1/4 open - I couldn't fix it messing with cables -- I am not really sure when they broke free and closed -- but they were pretty gunked up. The floats were way low -- at more like 5mm instead of 14.6mm -- so I am sure that helped. The adjustment screws were all at 2.5 to 3 -- I rolled them back to 2.0. Following step by step -- got everything cleaned and lubed and back together-- she started right up on full choke-- I just waited for her to warm up to me and then adjusted the idle down to 1100 --

I told the wife I was going to get gas and wash her down and be back in twenty -- 2 hours later...

Just got back from the test ride -- good test it was -- 102 F here in OKC and hot winds blowing -- but the bike performed great. I want to change the oil and filter one more time -- check the plugs -- and then put all the plastics back on. She needs a real sync - but very smooth -- so that can wait a while. I'll send some pix when I get her back together.

For a while there I was thinking I would need to resign the katriders and look for the katsitters -- I just sold off a Triumph 600TT and a BMW R80RT -- and was without a running bike for a couple of weeks -- now back in the saddle and smiling ear to ear.

Thanks to all for advice and info!

Comment

wow, PRE 98 carbs are 14.6. 98+, like the ones you have are 13mm +/- .5mm
                      Last edited by arsenic; 07-23-2011, 05:06 PM.

Comment

06' carb float height --

Good to know 13mm +/- .05

I didn't have the tool so measured out 14 point--as close to .06 -- that really looked way too high so mine really were closer to 14 minus a bit -- so I am close --

But the bike is running fine -- when I get the manometer in to do the sync, maybe I will go in and dial them in a bit closer.

Thanks for the info -- see pix attached of the carbs -- they were pretty gunked for an 06' bike
                        Attached Files

Comment

nice job. Not .05, .5. I have no idea how small .05 of a millimeter is, but I bet a strand of hair is thicker.

Comment

measurements --reving 06' - no more -- well sort of

Thanks for the correction on the float height increments from .05mm to .5mm.

I am the son of a carpenter/house builder and the grandson of a carpenter/ cabinet maker -- standard I can do -- I have lived in Asia most of the last 27 years and still have problems with metrics...

Today I was out riding a bit -- and noticed the idle kept climbing up between stoplights -- ugh. Now I figured it out -- I lost the little spring on the idle adjustment knob when I had it all apart and didn't remember to replace it.

Of course I spent almost an hour this morning putting all the fairings on before I noticed my mistake. So, I am so looking forward to tomorrow's task -.

Nothing inspiring about pix of my bike -- scorpion exhaust and the rest is stock -- but I will post a couple of pix. i am surfing the threads looking for good enhancements -- and kicking myself for not keeping my great horns off my R80 Bmwer I just sold. Horn, mirrors, decal removal/paint job -- small steps spaced a few paychecks apart...
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by bmwerman; 07-24-2011, 10:25 PM.

Comment

As days go -- this one is gone!

When you can't ride -- surf and dream about what could be -- feed the kat!

Comment

Working...
                              X