X

Oil Change.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change.

I do not have the owners manual for my bike and I need to know what type of oil and how much do I need for my bike. Also what is a recommended oil filter for my bike?
    My kat is a 1994 600
    “The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.”
    ~Ernesto 'Che' Guevara~

Comment

I have that it doesn't tell me what size oil filter to use.
      “The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.”
      ~Ernesto 'Che' Guevara~

Comment

Suzuki part number 16510-03G00-X07

Comment

Napa ps1359
          Originally posted by arsenic
          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Or Fram PH6018 Speaking of which I just put in 4q of Rotella t6 5-40 again and it's much quieter this time around. It makes no sense why the same oil sounds so much better, unless they have a quality control issue or changed something. I only had 2000 miles on the last batch.
            My YouTube Videos
            My motorcyle map!

Comment

Fresh oil is always better than old, and why 5w-40? I run 10W-40 or 15W-40 in mine....

Comment

Originally posted by Omnivore View Post
                Or Fram PH6018 Speaking of which I just put in 4q of Rotella t6 5-40 again and it's much quieter this time around. It makes no sense why the same oil sounds so much better, unless they have a quality control issue or changed something. I only had 2000 miles on the last batch.
                I have seen more than one oil analysis showing Rotella t6 5-40 sheering down to a 5-30 within 1500 miles. Higher viscosity oils make the motor quieter.
                As for 05RedKat, there is nothing wrong with running 5-40, but with the Rotella stuff, if that is what you are going to use, I think the cheaper 15-40 would be better. Not because of the closer viscosity spread (which is a good thing) but because it has a bit more zinc which can make for better shifting.

Comment

Originally posted by Omnivore View Post
                  Fram filter on any of my vehicles...over my dead body !
                  2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                      Fresh oil is always better than old, and why 5w-40? I run 10W-40 or 15W-40 in mine....
                      The 1st # 5W just means its thin at startup. The second number #40 is where it starts to break down over 210f (100c)

So 5w-40 is theoretically better in colder weather as far as it's ability to lube the engine on startup compared to 15w-40, but is no different in its characteristics than straight 40 weight in heat.

The difference is that multi weight oil will reduce its high value over time to your 5w-40 can become 5w-30 or 20.

In a race engine you wouldnt want to run any 5w- 10w- et c. If you run in high heat you would want minimal additives as the multi wieght oil breaks down from heat and pressure forming sludge or just makes the oil to thin.

Since I dont drive in high heat or race the heck out of my bike multi weight is fine, and with the cool temps every morning up here the thinner the better at start up.
                      My YouTube Videos
                      My motorcyle map!

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                        I have seen more than one oil analysis showing Rotella t6 5-40 sheering down to a 5-30 within 1500 miles. Higher viscosity oils make the motor quieter.
                        As for 05RedKat, there is nothing wrong with running 5-40, but with the Rotella stuff, if that is what you are going to use, I think the cheaper 15-40 would be better. Not because of the closer viscosity spread (which is a good thing) but because it has a bit more zinc which can make for better shifting.
                        What he said...

I had not heard that about Rotella t6 breaking down so soon but I typically change oil at 2000 miles on my bike. Good to know though.
                        Last edited by Omnivore; 07-08-2011, 12:32 PM.
                        My YouTube Videos
                        My motorcyle map!

Comment

Working...
                        X