Oil Change Questions by a noob

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change Questions by a noob

Hello All,
    I am need to perform an oil change.. but I can't do based on my assumptions so I need to clarify certain details before I move on.

since I am living in AR ,What kind of an oil do I need ? based on motorcycleanchor here are the specs which should I pick

15W-40 (for ambient temperature ranges of -15° to 40°+ C / 8° to 104°+ F)
    15W-50 (for ambient temperature ranges of -15° to 40°+ C / 8° to 112°+ F)
    20W-50 (for ambient temperature ranges of -10° to 40°+ C / 15° to 112°+ F)

( i know last pick should be the answer but i wanted other peoples opinions)

Since I have no clue what oil the previous owner used . Can you please tell me if Mobil1 Racing 4T is the right one?

since I have a 750 . how many quarts should I get if I were to change oil filter too?

Is KN-138 or KN-138C the correct oil filter?

Thanks

10w40 is fine, the Mobil1 4T is a great oil. 4 quarts should do it.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
      10w40 is fine, the Mobil1 4T is a great oil. 4 quarts should do it.
      +1 That's what I use

Comment

When you change your oil, whatever is in the oil cooler does not get changed as it feeds and empties from the top. If you want to insure your oil is all synthetic, remove and empty the oil cooler too. get an extra quart or so (amounts listed in your service manual are for oil change no filter, oil change with filter, and "rebuild" where the oil cooler is emptied also) Once my oil cooler was drained, i used a large syringe to refill my oil cooler before putting it back on the skoot, getting out as much air as possible. Be sure to keep an eye on your oil level after running the motor as there will still be a little air being chased out of the system just like refilling a car's cooling system.

Two important points to remember. See if anyone still has any of the little magnets Cyber used to sell to help your filter trap shavings, get one and put it on your filter. Be sure to spend the $1 to replace the metal washer gasket on the oil pan drain plug. if you don't replace the gasket, you may get a slow obnoxious Harley Davidson type constant oil drip.
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I've used some small cheap magnets (usually what I can find laying around) and black tape around the outside if the filter to help catch shavings for years. you'd be supprised how much extra crap they catch. I've been considering dropping a neo magnet into the gas tank to help catch any rust particles bt getting it out to clean may prove to be a pain in the a$$
          When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

I use Spectro 10W40 ........... KN filter (c) stands for chrome ...........KN 138 is correct (its black) ...... I spoke recently with a Suzuki mechanic and he suggested to stay away from Synthetic .............. clutch issues ...... would love to hear from others re this, has anyone experienced issues using Synthetic Oil.........What Brand are you using...............

Comment

I wish I read the responses couple of hours earlier , I poured 4 quartz of mobil 1 4T. Guess what it seems that the previous owner must have never changed the oil filter my neighbor removed it for me, it had no name brand and Thr casing had Thr same color as the engine . He had to punch several holes just to give a slight turn and it never came out easily. Also found out The two bolts under oil filter was bolted loosely and it was dripping oil . Had to tighten those..my neighbor poured a cap of cfoam in the oil ..thanks to ur suggestions and. My neighbors help things went OK.. Wish I had purchased the oil bolt

Comment

Originally posted by drduct View Post
                I spoke recently with a Suzuki mechanic and he suggested to stay away from Synthetic .............. clutch issues ...... would love to hear from others re this, has anyone experienced issues using Synthetic Oil.........What Brand are you using...............
                That "Suzuki mechanic" needs to be fired immediately...

You think Rossi and Stoner run dino oil?

Originally posted by domonkat View Post
                my neighbor poured a cap of cfoam in the oil

Not smart...

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I feel an improvement with gear shifting now with this oil

Comment

"You think Rossi and Stoner run dino oil?"
                    Last I checked they didn't race a 2004 Katana either

Comment

I used AMSOIL 10W40 full synthetic on an 02 750 and found that my shifting was smoother and more positive. No slippage issues at all.

Comment

I'm hoping to hear more comments like this, I wanted to switch but hearing that I thought I would check with the reliable Kat Forums......................dont want to be wasting time effort or money........

cheers expvet

Comment

is this color through the oil peep hole normal after a fresh oil change? i thought it was supposed to be more brighter. All we did was add 1 small cap of seafoam. or is it just my eyes playing tricks on me
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by domonkat; 07-04-2011, 08:25 PM.

Comment

"You think Rossi and Stoner run dino oil?"
                            Last I checked they didn't race a 2004 Katana either
                            A wet clutch is a wet clutch there bub...same thing.

I'd keep pointless snarky comments like that to myself...

Comment

I use Spectro 10W40 ........... KN filter (c) stands for chrome ...........KN 138 is correct (its black) ...... I spoke recently with a Suzuki mechanic and he suggested to stay away from Synthetic .............. clutch issues ...... would love to hear from others re this, has anyone experienced issues using Synthetic Oil.........What Brand are you using...............
                              Last change was with Rotella t6 synthetic. Seemed ok, its hard to say with a Kat engine as they are loud regaurdless what you put in them.

It had Mobil 1 4t in before that, No diffrence that I could "feel" between the two. The only diff was $15 more for the Mobil 1, time will tell on that one though. I'll probably put the t6 in again.
                              My YouTube Videos
                              My motorcyle map!

Comment

Working...
                              X