X

California carbs on non-Cali Pre-98 Kat 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California carbs on non-Cali Pre-98 Kat 600

I just bought some carbs for my 1993 600 Katana. It turned out that they are the California model carbs, and I see some extra ports on the bottom. I am wondering what should I do with these ports? Should I just leave them, or should I plug them up? What are they for? Is there any other differences between the Cali and the non-Cali carbs that I should look out for?
    Roops Photography|facebook|
    03 GSXR 1000
    04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
    Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

You can just put caps on those extra ports. They are for emissions stuff. Also the CA needles are different, they are 5F105, the 49 states are 5F104. And the pilot air jets are different.
    Suzuki Katana Carburetor Set Carbs
    Were they these ones? I didn't bid on them for that exact reason. Oh, and the vacuum hose from the 4th carb is different. It has a "T" in it, the 49 state ones do not.
    Last edited by arsenic; 07-03-2011, 07:41 PM.

Comment

So the needles are different part numbers, what's the actual physical difference Chris?

Trying to imagine what they would want with the needle, fatter profile?
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

there isn't a physical difference. Other than the needles, pilot air jets, vacuum hose, and added ports (which you can remove BTW). The carbs are the same. I make CA carbs into non CA carbs all the time. Just didn't feel like it now.

Comment

So the needles have different part numbers but are exactly the same?

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Why would they be exactly the same if they have different part numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              Why would they be exactly the same if they have different part numbers?

You're the carb guy around here, Im just curious as to the difference besides "different part numbers"

Comment

They have different pilot air jets. The pilot circuit is leaner due to strict CA standards. So the taper of the needle obviously makes the mix leaner.

Comment

So the taper of the needle obviously makes the mix leaner.
                  Thats what I thought (and was asking)

Jerk

Comment

You can just put caps on those extra ports. They are for emissions stuff. Also the CA needles are different, they are 5F105, the 49 states are 5F104. And the pilot air jets are different.
                    Suzuki Katana Carburetor Set Carbs
                    Were they these ones? I didn't bid on them for that exact reason. Oh, and the vacuum hose from the 4th carb is different. It has a "T" in it, the 49 state ones do not.
                    Yes, it was that one. So, I can just plug up the extra ports? Use like JB Weld?
                    Do I need to convert over the needles and jets and stuff or should it run decent enough the way it is?
                    03 GSXR 1000
                    04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                    Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

Originally posted by professorman View Post
                      Yes, it was that one. So, I can just plug up the extra ports? Use like JB Weld?
                      Do I need to convert over the needles and jets and stuff or should it run decent enough the way it is?

I used rubber plug caps from the auto store and just capped over them.

The jets and needles you have can be tuned to work just fine with the bike.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        I used rubber plug caps from the auto store and just capped over them.

The jets and needles you have can be tuned to work just fine with the bike.

Krey
                        What tuning does it need? I was hoping it would only be a carb sync.
                        03 GSXR 1000
                        04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski

Comment

Originally posted by professorman View Post
                          What tuning does it need? I was hoping it would only be a carb sync.

The minor differences can be tuned out by say adding a shim for the needle, might need 1/4 turn more on the a/f screws with the smaller pilot air jet.

These steps would just be part of fine tuning any carbs for a bike though. Not much different than say, if you had installed a jetkit. (adjust the needle, adjust the a/f, etc... )

And yes, a sync will be needed too.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                            The minor differences can be tuned out by say adding a shim for the needle, might need 1/4 turn more on the a/f screws with the smaller pilot air jet.
                            Would it be better to just swap out the parts from my other carbs? What parts should I swap out if I do this?
                            03 GSXR 1000
                            04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski

Comment

The pilot air jets and the needles.

The rest should match up between both. Double check the sizes, they are stamped on them.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X