X

Need a new chain question, and other noob questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new chain question, and other noob questions

It's time for a new chain on the kat, and the only chains I can find online are a hefty 200$ but include sprockets. Are there any places that just offer the chain for a better price?

Another question, I bought my bike with a few neat little changes. There's a 160 back tire, VH exhaust and an aftermarket windscreen... Is there any way I could tell if my carbs have been jetted, without taking them apart? I've read that I should be able to get my front wheel up in second by popping the clutch at a low enough speed (30-35) at around 8-9k rpms but i get nothing. im not looking to die or blow my fork seals, but maybe im missing a little bit of power?

Question 3, where do you wonderful guys/gals order parts from? I recently discovered ronayers, and before that all I knew was just motorcycle-superstore. Someday, I might streetfighter my bike out and would like some neat websites to find aftermarket parts, oem parts etc. I also check things like ebay/craigslist but they can only do so much and sometimes they're sketchy (especially ebay).

Thanks for any help

i'm in middletown,ny you can always use cycle motion for oem parts and and for everything else i like using motorcycle superstore, motosport.com amd of course i love using ebay.i just recently replaced both sprockets and chain all new parts for under 100.00 . on ebay i paid 35.00 with shipping for my chain . since your close by let me know when your ready to go for a ride

Comment

Originally posted by illwillone View Post
      i'm in middletown,ny you can always use cycle motion for oem parts and and for everything else i like using motorcycle superstore, motosport.com amd of course i love using ebay.i just recently replaced both sprockets and chain all new parts for under 100.00 . on ebay i paid 35.00 with shipping for my chain . since your close by let me know when your ready to go for a ride
      how's cycle motion with fixing/servicing your bike? Are they generally pretty quick, and reasonably priced? its taking a little over a week for me to order an odd oem part from ronayers, and im curious to know if they could have done it faster, without charging me an arm and a leg. Moroneys is right down the road from me, but their prices are insane and i've heard some horror stories on basic stuff like an oil change so i only go there if I can't take the ride out to cycle motion.

i'm scared about buying a chain on ebay because i really dont want some offbrand defective chain... I ride kinda hard sometimes and the thought of having a chain fall apart on me is frightening. are there any specific brands you stay away from, or try to stick to? i'm pretty new to the motorcycle biz, and obviously owning a katana. the sprockets are 15/47 and the chain would be an o-ring 530, with 118 links right? X-rings are a no-go (i dont even know what that is), and i'll need to chop a few links off probably since most come with 120 links.

once my bike is back in action, i'll definitely shoot you a PM for some riding this summer

Comment

Originally posted by theonlyepi View Post
        I've read that I should be able to get my front wheel up in second by popping the clutch at a low enough speed (30-35) at around 8-9k rpms but i get nothing. im not looking to die or blow my fork seals, but maybe im missing a little bit of power?
        See: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=118632
        http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Comment

the chain i got from ebay wasnt a o-ring chain its a master link chain with a lock . i'm new to motorcycles as well but i've been a mechanic for 8 years on cars and buses. so as for servicing my bike so far i've been doing it myself . for any oem part that i want new i go through cyclemotion or ebay. theres plenty of stuff i got off of ebay like my centerstand, lowering links,clutch and brake levers,. i got my centerstand used from a motorcycle salvage parts store on ebay. the stock gearing is 15/47 and 118 links , if its a 600cc - i just made mine a 14/47 for now with a 118 link chain just last week believe me ebay will save you lots of money used parts or new.go on ebay and look up sledpartsguy witch i brought my chain off of for 35.00 including shipping and got it in 3 days . there ar other chains out there in different colors witch cost more its really your choice. try ebay

Comment

Originally posted by wickeded View Post
            I was hoping there'd be more info than that

Originally posted by theonlyepi View Post
            im not looking to die or blow my fork seals, but maybe im missing a little bit of power?
            The point of my statement is that my power seems to be inadequate for what it should be in comparison to what i've read here. This is taking into consideration the possible mods my previous owners took the liberty of installing, which im still figuring out. Is there a way to see if my kat is jetted, aside from ripping the carbs out? The first time i ever changed oil in anything was the kat about a week ago, is carb work something I might be able to tackle?

Originally posted by illwillone View Post
            i just made mine a 14/47 for now
            how do you like that setup? i was thinking about doing something similar, but im not sure how much of that top end i'll be losing compared to the low end gains. my bike can hit 140 now which i think is pretty good, although im a super light 150lbs lol
            Last edited by theonlyepi; 07-03-2011, 10:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
            X