X

Cylinder cold and clicking noise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder cold and clicking noise

On my post 600, cylinder 3 is "cold" and there is a fast clicking noise when I am riding. It seemed like some sort of a plug/wiring problem so based on some other topics here I replaced the plugs and trimmed 1/2" off the wire and the problem was still there. Switched the wires between cylinders 2 and 3 and the problem persisted on cylinder 3, same as before. Idle is rough but acceleration is smooth through the whole RPM range, just seems to be less power than there should be.

I think there is still some wiring issue and not a carb problem because of the clicking and smooth acceleration, but I'm not sure where to look next. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Have you checked to see if you have spark on #3?

Comment

I haven't gotten a chance to check the spark yet, but if there was no spark how would the problem not have moved when I swapped the wires since there is only one cylinder with an issue?

Comment

Hate to say it but clicking noise sound more mechanical than electrical. Valves maybe?
        When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by everyday17 View Post
          I haven't gotten a chance to check the spark yet, but if there was no spark how would the problem not have moved when I swapped the wires since there is only one cylinder with an issue?

Coil bad? Not sure but just putting a thought out their.
          Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

On my post 600, cylinder 3 is "cold" and there is a fast clicking noise when I am riding. It seemed like some sort of a plug/wiring problem so based on some other topics here I replaced the plugs and trimmed 1/2" off the wire and the problem was still there. Switched the wires between cylinders 2 and 3 and the problem persisted on cylinder 3, same as before. Idle is rough but acceleration is smooth through the whole RPM range, just seems to be less power than there should be.

I think there is still some wiring issue and not a carb problem because of the clicking and smooth acceleration, but I'm not sure where to look next. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
            If it was a wiring problem, your problem would have moved. It's either a carb issue or motor.
            Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

When you said
              Switched the wires between cylinders 2 and 3 and the problem persisted on cylinder 3, same as before.
              I thought that meant you actually took the plug wires from 2 and 3 and switched them on the coil.....

The reason I asked if there was spark on 3 is that if there is NOT, you have a bad coil or other wiring issue, especially after switching the plug wires. If you have spark on 3, then your problem is in the motor, OR in the carbs. Probably loose valves if you hear a clicking noise.

Do you have spark on #3? If you never actually looked to see if you have spark, you are spinning your wheels. Have you checked the coil to see if it is cracked and arcing out instead of firing the plug? These issues would not carry over by switching plug wires.

I had this happen on a car once, fast clicking noise turned out to be overly corroded distributor cap arcing out a cylinder to ground instead of firing it....could only see the issue at night. Same thing can happen with coils on the Kat, not the corrosion which you should have seen, but a cracked coil arcing that cylinder out to ground.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                When you said I thought that meant you actually took the plug wires from 2 and 3 and switched them on the coil......
                I didn't swap the entire wire, I left it the same on the coil and swapped the connection at the spark plugs.

Comment

I didn't swap the entire wire, I left it the same on the coil and swapped the connection at the spark plugs.
                  Ah, I see. So you hooked cylinder 2 to cylinder 3, and vice versa and the problem didn't carry over. Start looking at valves, compression, and carbs.

Comment

Take the valve cover off n check the valve clerance, and the generallook of things. Also, a real longshot, but do a compression test and theck the oil for any gas. You may have a hole in your piston but i dont think so

Comment

Working...
                    X