X

suspension experts... how bad is this LOL

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspension experts... how bad is this LOL

i was doing my fork seals... ofcourse one of the bottom allen key bolts stripped so i had to drill it. when i drilled it, the head of the bolt seperated and the shaft of the bolt threaded into the inside of the dampener thing.i tried for an hour to thread it Back out but it wasnt happening so i widened one of the holes on the side to get the piece of bolt out. how much did i **** up?

Last edited by frosti108; 07-03-2011, 06:34 PM.
    1989 katana 750

bump. i need to know if my dampening will be all messed up now because of widening this hole...? it looks like i pretty much doubled it, if that (just enought to get the bolt out)

and this hole is on the dampener thing in the bottom of the forks...

and if it is messed up i can try to close the hole back up with my welder... depending on what kind of metal it is...
    Last edited by frosti108; 07-03-2011, 10:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1989 katana 750

Comment

I think that one is pretty well jacked. I also don't think I'd try welding it back closed. Time to hit Flea-Bay unless someone on here has a fork for you.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

making it smooth again is not a problem for me... i just need to know if these holes have importance for dampening
        1989 katana 750

Comment

Can anyone tell me what purpose these holes serve for dampening? Im about to sand it down clean it out and put it back together... Unless someone can tell me something
          1989 katana 750

Comment

Member T-mod is the resident suspension expert, I'm sure he could tell you. You may want to PM him. If you need a replacement I've got them cheap.

Richard
            Last edited by ep87; 07-03-2011, 06:29 PM.
            96 Suzuki GSX750F
            89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
            05 Yamaha WR450F
            05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Thank you I just messaged him. This sucks. I can feel the season slipping away lol
              1989 katana 750

Comment

If you are sticking with just the stock damping then I would suggest returning that hole to the normal size. By opening it up as you did you will loose a majority of the damping on that one leg. If you want to fix it take a brass rod and insert it down the center hole and weld the hole up and then redrill. You must also make the outside smooth as the check valve (plastic) will go by there and you don't want anything catching or wearing the check valve.

Tmod

Comment

Thanks bro could you tell me what type of metal this thing is and if I can just mig it? Why do u say to use brass? Thanks
                  1989 katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by frosti108 View Post
                    Thanks bro could you tell me what type of metal this thing is and if I can just mig it? Why do u say to use brass? Thanks
                    It is nothing fancy just steel, Yep you can use the MIG on it and the reason for the brass is the to use as a backer so the weld will follow the ID of the damping rod. Steel don't weld to brass very well if you get my drift.

Tmod

Comment

Ok thank you very much. Although I don't see how I could fit anything inside of the dampener since I couldn't even get the bolt out
                      1989 katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by frosti108 View Post
                        Ok thank you very much. Although I don't see how I could fit anything inside of the dampener since I couldn't even get the bolt out
                        The brass rod goes in from the top side, If memory serves correct it is about 5/8".

Tmod

Comment

If he doesn't have emulators, it still has a cap on the top side with the rebound adjuster in the damper rod.

Comment

Easily removed, Just pop that cap out and then remove rebound adjuster shutter, Weld and then re-assemble. May be a little harder to get the rod back in without the guide though.

Tmod

Comment

Found a local with a pile of parts. Including a set of incomplete 600 forks

Now please, tell me the 600 dampeners are the same as my 750!
                              1989 katana 750

Comment

Working...
                              X