X

Having trouble with front sprocket.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble with front sprocket.

First time doing this, so I did some things in the wrong order. First I cut the chain and changed the rear sprocket, then I dove into the front sprocket. I didn't shift it into 1st, but I was able to jam a screwdriver in the old chain, and get the speed sensor nut loose, and off. However, the nut that holds on the front sprocket, I can't get off. I went ahead and reinstalled the rear wheel with the new sprocket, and wrapped the old chain around it, threw a cotter pin in the chain link to hold it together, and have tried to use a breaker bar and a 32mm 6 point socket. I just can't get the nut to break. My dad tried to use a wrench in the wheel spokes while I held down the rear brake to get the wheel to lock up, and we broke the wrench.

So Can someone please help me understand what I'm doing wrong? This front sprocket is the last mechanical part to replace before I can button the bike back up and go riding for the holiday weekend.

2001 GSX600F

Doing new sprockets and chain, and have a new rear tire.

I would recommend a 500+ ft-lbs 1/2" drive air powered impact wrench. That'll either break the nut loose or break your arm, one of the two.

Comment

Yup, air impact.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Well I used the handy dandy search function and came across the suggestion of a 2x4 in the wheel spokes, and I took a final go at it. I couldn't get it, and my arms were shaking. My dad, who's a marine, took a go at it, and suddenly it finally gave way. So yeah, that thing is on so tight it's scary.

Thank you very much for the replies, I do have a question, should I use lock tight on reassembly?

Comment

Not the red, or you'll be doing it this way next time too.
          Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

Originally posted by 5forty2 View Post
            Not the red, or you'll be doing it this way next time too.
            +50 Use the blue if you ever want to remove it again.

Comment

I saw Low, Medium, and High, and went with the blue stuff that said Medium over the red stuff that said "PERMANENT".

good times are being had, a youtube video explained how to use a harbor freight chain breaker on the master link to mushroom the tips and install the new chain. After which I just gotta finish the oil change, put everything back together, and pray to god she starts up properly.

I've been off the bike for about 2 months now since the accident, it's nice to get it back together, so I can tackle that 2nd thing, fear.

Comment

If it's from Harbor Freight, it might work twice if your lucky, but the third time I doubt.

Comment

Working...
                X