Laid it down, now it's leaking oil

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laid it down, now it's leaking oil

Hey everybody,

The other day i was riding and there were 2 lanes. The left one was a bunch of cars and the right one was empty with no cars at all. I was riding on the right lane and the car behind the left lane decided to cut me off. Right when he cut me off. He suddenly braked to a full stop and I had to break to avoid hitting him. As soon as I breaked (going about 15-20 mph) I laid down my bike because there happened to be a slick spot on the road also. The guy saw me lay it down and he took off right after he did that to me. So now I have a bike with an oil leak. I was able to ride home and now it leaks about 20 drops a day. very small leak, but nonetheless it's a leak. The leak is coming from the alternator cover. Has anybody ever dealt with this situation before? Is it an easy fix? Thanks for any input.

Probably cracked the cover, take it off and check.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

The alternator cover?

Anyway, like scotty said, look for cracks. It happens. My favorite way to look is to clean the cover off with brake cleaner, and then watch it closely. If you still don't see a drop forming after a while, then take a tissue and pat it around on the cover until you see a little oil on it (the brake cleaner will leave the cover absolutely dry and absolutely clean).

As for a fix, it's not difficult either way. You can scuff it up a bit, clean it, and JB Weld it, but it will be ugly. The other option is to get another cover (easy to find, and cheap) and a gasket and just replace it. Very simple.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Exactly...good advice, Rich. Been there and done something akin to that. Good job, bro!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
          The alternator cover?

Anyway, like scotty said, look for cracks. It happens. My favorite way to look is to clean the cover off with brake cleaner, and then watch it closely. If you still don't see a drop forming after a while, then take a tissue and pat it around on the cover until you see a little oil on it (the brake cleaner will leave the cover absolutely dry and absolutely clean).

As for a fix, it's not difficult either way. You can scuff it up a bit, clean it, and JB Weld it, but it will be ugly. The other option is to get another cover (easy to find, and cheap) and a gasket and just replace it. Very simple.

where do you find cheap covers and gasket?

Comment

Originally posted by turbine17 View Post
            where do you find cheap covers and gasket?
            E-Gay for covers

Local dealer for a gasket (you don't want to pay shipping for that)
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Like loudnlow said if it is cracked jbweld from the inside and lightly to fill crack on the outside and sand and paint. I fixed one like this a few years ago on a bike that I sold to my brother-in-law and it still seals and looks great. When I was a broke college student I made a throttle body gasket on a Nissan from a cereal box and sealed w/ RTV and it held up for years before I totaled the car. I don't know how well it would seal bathed in oil however. I would use RTV on both sides of the gasket and give it a shot.

Comment

We used to use cereal boxes for gaskets on our old dirtbikes. They would work just fine with a thin film of RTV on them. Even used one for a head gasket once on an old 2 stroke. Held up for quite a while.

Preferred method is to buy a roll of gasket paper from Napa for about 5 bucks. Really easy to make your own gaskets for things like that.

Comment

Working...
                X