X

please help just got a bike and its spitting oil out airbox

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help just got a bike and its spitting oil out airbox

Hi my name is philip im new to your forums i just bought a 89 750 katana. When i bought it the guy said it needed a emission part a valve to run right ok so i orderd it in the mean time i tryed to fire it up and i got alot of oil comeing out of airbox tube.I took off air box fired it up and let it run awhile had to keep choke going to keep the bike running then i reved it alittle and then it spit oil out what do you think ? thank you for your time philip

Yeah...
    Well first off it isn't gonna like running with out the
    air box.. however it should run with out the choke..
    Should...

I think what you need is this:
    Part #14 in this drawing:

Oil is baffled through this part..
    You should get oil vapors out
    (that then get burned) but not oil..
    The reburning of the oil vapor is the "emission" part..

Comment

EDIT:
      You do not want to plug this up!!
      it is important that the crank case (oil system) be allowed to "breath"

Comment

ahhh

Well i think it has to much oil in the crankcase cant see any space in the peek window. Also is it ture you need the emisson stuff hooked up to run the bike?! Because the guy that sold it to me said it only needed a valve cani and it would start up just fine. my bike is a 750 katana 89

Comment

ahhh anyone know about theses 750s thanks ?

Comment

A Cali model , is it ? Sounds like it . You CAN remove the emisions stuff , but you gotta "plug" it up right , or it won't run right . We're working on a Cali model right now , and it's kinda a pain . But we're figuring it out .
            The oil thing will be an unrelated issue . HOPEFULLY it's nothing too serious , but it don't sound great to me . You COULD need that part that was mentioned . Pull off the little box deal (part #13) on top and find out .
            Now then , your oil level ... you check that after the bike's been running for a minute , then let it sit a minute , THEN check it . It will read high cold .
            Oh , if you need a part of the emissions system , we yanked all that crap off of ours . If you don't decide to do the same , maybe we can help you get that part .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

ahh

ya the parts called a (ca) valve cani i just dont know what to do next i bought stuff to do a oil change and orderd the part which was 34 bucks !@
              i just would like to get rid of it all. THe gas tank looks like its to full and maybe thats why its dumping oil out of the carbs when i rev it whats do you think ?I hope i didnt get a bad deal he seemed sure it was just the emisson part.

Comment

The entire canister ? Which part on the diagram are you talking about here ?

Yes , you CAN take all that crap off . There's another thread right now in the mechanic's section (I think) about what's involved in de-californianizing the thing . Damn , the whole canister dealy is $134 . I woulda just sold you the one we yanked off for $20 .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I hope that it's actually the barrier in the top of the valve cover (item #14 in the fiche that Black_Peter pointed out)... my first suspicion was that it was a set of worn rings, because an airbox full of oil often signals just that -- which means a serious and expensive repair (removal & disassembly of the engine).

If you have anyone with a compression tester, have the cylinders compression tested. This will verify that it's not the rings nor a burnt/broken valve. If you have access to an air compressor, you can find a compression tester to use with it at harborfreight.com fairly cheaply.

Good Luck with that!
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X