X

Oil Consumption

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Consumption

I bought a 2005 Kat in late April of this year. It had 9100 miles on it. I put about 600 miles on it and then changed the oil. A good chunk of the 600 was riding it home. I figured that since it had that many miles on it, the engine was fully broken in, so I put Mobil 1 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil in it. I've put about 1600 miles on it since the oil change. It has gone from full oil to halfway between the H and L on the oil window.

Is this excessive oil consumption? I used Rotella on my Ninja 250 and it didn't use a drop between changes.

You sure it's consumption? You checked the airbox drain? Any seepage under the fairings that you can't see? Pull the spark plugs and a have a look at them, that will tell you if it's burning oil or not. What color are they?

Comment

I don't think it's so excessive that I need to investigate it. I don't say on the fairing or anywhere that would lead me to think it's venting oil.

I was just curious as to what other people notice on their bikes.

Comment

Its an oil cooled bike, runs hot. traffic and higher ambient temps will lead to some burn off.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I've put 800 miles on mine so far, and no change in oil level, despite a small seep in my valve cover gasket that I haven't fixed yet. Same year as yours, close to same mileage at 8800.

Pulled your plugs and looked at them? Seems a bit excessive to me for a newer Kat. What weight are you running?

Comment

Neither my '93 (100 000 miles) or '05 (5000 miles) require topping up between 3000 mile interval oil changes. But I am fairly light and I don't thrash them often.

Comment

Working...
            X