X

problems with battery removal and oil filter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with battery removal and oil filter

Hey I just started winterizing. I can't seem to get the oil filter off. Is there a way to get it off without taking off the header? I was told I do not need to change it right now to winterize but I figured I would atleast try and do it so I would know how. Any help? Also I can't seem to get the fuse holder off the battery holder? Is there a certain way to slide that off? The picture in the manual is not helping. Thanks any help would be great.

OK why are you removing the fuse holder?
    once the battery is diconnected you just pull it out right??

If you use OEM oil filters there should be a wrench you can buy..
    I had a strap wrench I made that worke great on every oil filter I tried it on.. Basicly a bar with a nylon loop..
    Twist the bar counter clockwise and it tightened the loop on the filter and then unscrewed it

Comment

well the fuse is connected to the battery holder and i cant seem to get the battery out without taking out the holder and i cant since the fuses are connected to it.

Comment

Your ride profile says you've got "yoshi pipes", so I'm assuming that's the headers too. Well... yup you'll have to pull the headers to swap the filter. In the beginning I was able to pass an oil filter behind those pipes, but that was pure luck, not to mention getting crap on every surface that needed to stay clean. Was difficult as playing jenga in an earthquake. After a time or two you'll get used to pulling the headers, and once those are off it's oh-so-easy to get the job done right.
        '01 TL1000R

Comment

Nah just take a pair of channel lock pliers and put on there to get the old one off. You are taking the old one to replace with a new one so what do you care if you screw it up. I suggest getting a K&N oil filter since it comes with a nut on the end to aid in the install and removal of the oil filter. Your oil fitler is a K&N 138 or in the hiflo one it is a HF138 and in the Fram it is a PH6018.These are the oil fitler numbers for all the Katanas from 89-05. Suzuki uses the same oil filiter on most of their bikes.
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by liltang21
            well the fuse is connected to the battery holder and i cant seem to get the battery out without taking out the holder and i cant since the fuses are connected to it.
            The bar that holds the fuse holder/relay has bolts attaching it to the frame rails on each side. Unbolt them and flip it out of the way (you don't need to remove anything else). Then lift the battery out.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I don't pull MY headers off . I reach back there with a leather wok glove on and just twist it off . But yeah , that cap wrench will help . Can be had pretty much any place that sells oil for like $3 .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

My oil filter on my 01' was a biotch, i took the lower right fairing off, drove a screwdriver through the filter and tried to turn it, that just shredded the filter. Eventually i got a pair of channel pliers in there and clamped down on it. I was able to turn it about 2mm every turn, it took FOR EVER.
                "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" Andretti

Comment

I agree it was a little tricky on my Kat too... there wasn't any slack in the wires either. I imagine it would be easier to remove if the rubber grommet was warm. Like noted above it might be easier to unplug the connectors so the bracket comes off with the electrical stuff attached.

Originally posted by liltang21
                  2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                  2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                  1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                  1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                  1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Nothing like a screwdriver and a hammer in a pinch. That's how dad gets stubborn oil filters off (me too, before my filter wrench clicky).
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

thats a nifty tool, never seen one like that, might have to pick one up. the screwdriver metod makes me a little nervous at times. just somethin about drivin a screwdriver through a part on your bike that doesn't set me at ease
                      "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" Andretti

Comment

Working...
                      X