X

valves tap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valves tap

ok this is driving me nuts the valve on the bike have tapped since i bought it it runs fine but it drives me nuts listening to it. can the valve be adjusted easily.

What year and cc's is your bike?

Comment

Get a louder exhaust??

The bike in the pic looks like a pre. If it is anything like my 92, it is easily done, but you have to take your time with it and follow the manual step by step...
      "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

I know it's a pre. The tail looks like a 600. If it's 92-97 600 that's shims. So, it's not easy.

Comment

Got it...
          "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

its a 95 600

Comment

Shims, not fun, or easy.

Comment

that sucks how bad is it. just taking the valves out or more than that

Comment

You don't "take the valves out".

Comment

Does such an engine exist, where you must remove the valves to adjust them?!?! What a pain in the d**k that would be! Just imagine the shop manual........ "Step 1: Remove the cylinder head"....

You just have to swap shims until you get the right clearance, which is more of a pain than just turning a screw like the 750's and the 98+ bikes. I'm pretty sure Suzuki just used shims on the 600's because they wanted to f*** with people. They really couldn't have been that concerned with valvetrain mass on that 60hp beast, and for the type of riding that a Katana is more appropriate for, threaded adjusters would have been appreciated by almost all owners.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Yeah, I figure Suzuki just did that cause they can.

Comment

thanks guys that will be the next thing today

Comment

Originally posted by ecko2bg View Post
                          that sucks how bad is it. just taking the valves out or more than that
                          Sorry man, shim heads are a huge pain in the jewels for the home garage mechanic. If you have never adjusted these valves before, I recommend getting an experienced friend to help you the first time. I had an old XT350 thumper with a shim head, and it was a biatch.
                          Last edited by thenastiestnate; 06-16-2011, 10:07 PM. Reason: Blah

Comment

Yeah I won't touch them, and I am the experienced guy. When I did them at the shop, it was easy. We had a master shim kit, so you had every shim at your disposal. If you try to measure and just get the size you need. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                            X