No announcement yet.
X

Oil leaking from header at head???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bike doesn't smoke at all! We had an issue of having to run it with the choke on then had to hold the throttle open after we closed the choke to keep it running cuz the battery is deader than a door nail, lol! If you look at the pics (the last one) in particular, the oil cooler is wet right above and at the location where the oil cooler line is connected to the oil cooler! If it was the head gasket it would surely flow down the motor, not up! It could be the head gasket, but if it is coming from the header connection then yes, it is a ba valve guide or bad valve! There is no noise associated with the valve though? My nephew took these pics and swears that he ran his hand across the oil cooler, but I can clearly see in the last pic that the oil cooler does show signs of oil leaking or possibly being sprayed on it from the head or header gasket! I'll have to get him on the phone to have him check while I'm on the phone or else I'll have to wait til when I get home in 10 days to look at it myself! Like the saying goes, if ya want something done right ya gotta do it yourself, lol! I have changed a head on a car, but not a bike! I'm sure I can do it though! Ill be takin the carbs off, cleaning them, reinstalling them, synching them and changing the fork/dust seals! So yeah, I'm a little bit mechanically inclined! Anything I can do on it to save me money, lol!

Nut-Nut.... I will have the bike inspected from top to bottom to track down this leak! I'm kinda hoping it's not the valve/valve guide!!! I'd much rather it be a head gasket or something similar, lol! Thanks
    Last edited by Katanacrazy; 06-12-2011, 01:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

It sounds like you really do need to go through the carbs...

My bike did the same last year, I finally got it going good this year after cleaning, adjusting, and synching the carbs...

Back to the oil leak, when you have the tank and carbs off, I would suggest removing the Valve cover and checking the gaskets... You will have most of the parts already removed for access and it will take you only a few more minutes...

Keep us posted...
      "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Ok thanks

Comment

It may be leaking at the oil cooler TOO, but thats not the source of the oil on the head...
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Well some good news kinda off subject, but the new battery cured a lot of the poor idle & crappy running issues! I'm gonna run some Seafoam through it when I get home on the 25th and see how that works! I'm a firm believer in Seafoam, stuff works!!! Anyways, I ordered new exhaust gaskets that are waiting for me to put them in & a few other things as well so I will keep y'all updated! Thanks!

Comment

I know this thread is a year old but did you figure out what the problem was exactly?

After coming home from Port Dover this Friday, I noticed I now have the exact same issue but under cylinder 2, unlike yours which looked like it was under # 3. To me looks like the gasket below where the headers bolt into it. And if so what did you do to fix it? Thanks!
              Last edited by rabidmaggot; 07-16-2012, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X