X

Secondary Coil Resistance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secondary Coil Resistance

I've been having trouble with my 1991 GSX600F. It's been hard to start, I need to give it throttle to get it to start, and when it's running and you try to go ride it, the engine bogs down. The only way to keep it from stalling is to pull the clutch rev it, and drop the clutch. So far I've checked the coil as per the FSM.

Cap resistance isn't infinite, main coil resistance is 3.2 on one and 3.3 on the other, the secondary coil resistance is 15,600 and 15,900. So the coils need to be replaced, correct?

Any other ideas for things for me to check? Or any more info you guys need from me?

Thanks

No, the coils have about zero to do with your engine bogging down. Your problem is the pilot circuit in the carbs. You need to clean your pilot jets.

Comment

Well maybe bogging down wasn't the right word. Even in the higher revs the engine doesn't seem to be running on all cylinders, which is why I decided to check ignition first. I will still check my pilot jets.

Though my friend said he took apart the carbs this spring and inspected and cleaned them. I still would like to know if the Ohms I got for the secondary coils means the coils are shot or not. Also is there any way to check the CDI?

Comment

The primary resistance is right on the money. Between 2 and 4 ohms. The secondary is low, but there is more you can do to check if it's a coil, or a plug wire or cap. You can unscrew the plug wire from the coil and check the resistance at the coil. If it's still low, it's a coil. If it's not, it a wire the plug cap. Those spark plug caps have resisters in them, so in theory it should be lower. It should be 30K to 40K ohms. You can not check the CDI on your own. Suzuki dealerships should have the test equipment, but it's SUPER expensive.

Comment

Ok I'll try checking the resistance at the coil with the plug wires detached. Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to know, how to determine which element of the ignition system is acting up.

Is it common to have two bad coils?
          Last edited by Attridge; 06-08-2011, 11:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Not really, but anything is possible. Are you putting the ohm meter on the right setting?

Comment

Working...
            X