X

Issues with Running....giving up for the day

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with Running....giving up for the day

Hey everyone, I've had a hell of day and don't really want to go over it but i need some input as to what might be going on.

I apologize for the length of this in advance.

Over the past month and a half, i've been working on getting my 99 Kat 600 ready for the riding season. I know i got a bit of a late start but i work a lot and have a time limiting commute. Anyways I've put on new tires, new paint, new brakes, added a 12v accessory outlet next to the gauges, new fork seals. Today was valves and carb sync. So followed the motorcycle-anchor and haynes instructions. Stripped the bolt near the oil cooler. Decide it was running fine when i put it away in the fall, i'll let this go til i need to get it done. I start reassembling and one of my throttle cables snaps. Dealer (30 min away) doesnt have one and has to order it. I'll get that tuesday. So i changed my plugs, changed my oil, and move onto doing a carb sync.

I attached the tank, primed the carbs, and fired it up. Fired right up and i ran the choke for about 15 seconds before shutting it off. I sprayed carb cleaner in each of the carbs (air box is NOT on the bike right now) and added some fuel system cleaner in the tank. I then let the bike run for about 30-40 minutes perfectly while i built the Starbucks frap carb sync tool i found on Katriders earlier this year. When i was done building the tool, i sprayed each header with some water and each cylinder was firing equally hot. i shut off the bike.

This is where things go wrong (again cause i thought i'd be riding today). I pulled the vacuum caps off the carbs to sync (first time i've ever done this and what a b*tch it was to get those off) I did not remember reading about needing something to go from the 3/8in x 1/4in hosing i bought to fit the vacuum port. So i decide that i am giving it up for today and i'll fight the battle tomorrow with trying to get the carbs synced.Well i lost one of the vacuum caps and ran to autozone and bought 1/8in caps for the one i lost. I replace the caps and try to start it back up, to make myself feel better about the waste of a beautiful saturday that i did not spend riding. What happens? runs for about 10 seconds rough and dies. Try again...same result. Runs with the choke on, tried adjusting the idle a bit and it dies the second i touch it.

I have no idea. It doesnt seem like the carb monster bit me...it was running GREAT for almost an hour. Any ideas? i'm gonna tackle it again tomorrow and see what happens, but any theoretical ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any support.

-Rich
    "Are they built for comfort of built for speed?"

You tried to sync the carbs without the air box on? You realize you need the air box on to sync the carbs right? Hold on, it may take me a few minutes to comprehend this. You do know what's in the air box correct? The AIR FILTER. It filters out the junk in the air that's not supposed to get inside your engine. So essentially you ran your engine for 30-40 minutes with no filter, not good. You should theoretically never even start the engine without an air filter. A carb sync is synchronizing the vacuum levels in each carburetor body to the valve clearances. Do you know what provides the correct back pressure for the vacuum? The air box and the air filter. Why do you think running a K&N air filter or pod filter never works? The back pressure is never right unless you use the OE air box and filter. So, try a sync again tomorrow and actually put the air box on this time. It's not just there for the hell of it.
    Last edited by arsenic; 05-07-2011, 07:49 PM.

Comment

I actually had no idea. I wasnt sure it would make a difference. I'll keep that in mind. I just want to get it running again at this point.

Comment

Now you do, put that air box back on.

Comment

Put the airbox back on. Not having it leans out the carbs something fierce. No wonder your bike won't run without the choke.

Slap forehead, drink a beer.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

It ran for 40 minutes fine without the airbox. Thats the only thing i cant understand. I'll put everything back together that i can and update tomorrow. Thanks!

Comment

My guess would be that it ran fine because you forgot to shut off the choke. Go drink that beer (or your beverage of choice) and let it sit for now.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Just Imagine if you would of forgotten the gas?....lol

all in a days learning........
                sigpic
                98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
                Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

haha choke was definitely off. thanks for the help! i'll let everyone know how it goes today

Comment

Originally posted by whrich13 View Post
                    Hey everyone, I've had a hell of day and don't really want to go over it but i need some input as to what might be going on.

I apologize for the length of this in advance.

Over the past month and a half, i've been working on getting my 99 Kat 600 ready for the riding season. I know i got a bit of a late start but i work a lot and have a time limiting commute. Anyways I've put on new tires, new paint, new brakes, added a 12v accessory outlet next to the gauges, new fork seals. Today was valves and carb sync. So followed the motorcycle-anchor and haynes instructions. Stripped the bolt near the oil cooler. Decide it was running fine when i put it away in the fall, i'll let this go til i need to get it done. I start reassembling and one of my throttle cables snaps. Dealer (30 min away) doesnt have one and has to order it. I'll get that tuesday. So i changed my plugs, changed my oil, and move onto doing a carb sync.

I attached the tank, primed the carbs, and fired it up. Fired right up and i ran the choke for about 15 seconds before shutting it off. I sprayed carb cleaner in each of the carbs (air box is NOT on the bike right now) and added some fuel system cleaner in the tank. I then let the bike run for about 30-40 minutes perfectly while i built the Starbucks frap carb sync tool i found on Katriders earlier this year. When i was done building the tool, i sprayed each header with some water and each cylinder was firing equally hot. i shut off the bike.

This is where things go wrong (again cause i thought i'd be riding today). I pulled the vacuum caps off the carbs to sync (first time i've ever done this and what a b*tch it was to get those off) I did not remember reading about needing something to go from the 3/8in x 1/4in hosing i bought to fit the vacuum port. So i decide that i am giving it up for today and i'll fight the battle tomorrow with trying to get the carbs synced.Well i lost one of the vacuum caps and ran to autozone and bought 1/8in caps for the one i lost. I replace the caps and try to start it back up, to make myself feel better about the waste of a beautiful saturday that i did not spend riding. What happens? runs for about 10 seconds rough and dies. Try again...same result. Runs with the choke on, tried adjusting the idle a bit and it dies the second i touch it.

I have no idea. It doesnt seem like the carb monster bit me...it was running GREAT for almost an hour. Any ideas? i'm gonna tackle it again tomorrow and see what happens, but any theoretical ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any support.

-Rich
                    Originally posted by whrich13 View Post
                    It ran for 40 minutes fine without the airbox. Thats the only thing i cant understand. I'll put everything back together that i can and update tomorrow. Thanks!

So I used bold and text size to make a few bits of information stand out here.

1. Did you happen to have a fan blowing on the front of the engine/oil cooler when you left it running for 40 mins? Might be a problem if you didn't since it needs moving air to cool. This could have cause a heat issue.

2. Are you sure the vacuum line on the petcock didn't come off and stop fuel from flow, have a kinked line while doing this... are you sure the carbs are full of gas (choke pulls from the bottom, and will run the bike even though the bowls are not full.)

3. Double check all your vacuum points are sealed off correctly, including the new cap and the old caps did not crack or develope a hole while you removed them. Sometimes one will grab a pair of pliers for example if they are stuck on and not realized they just crimped a hole in the side of them. That is enough of an issue to cause it to run poorly.

4. The bike will idle with out the airbox at all, but it's not running right. As mentioned, sync with it on for best results.

5. I would check your plugs again, just to make sure they are in good condition after the 40 min run with no cooling.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Update:

Everything is running great again. I think it was a combination of the position i had the fuel tank in crimping one of the lines and the lack of an airbox.

I just had to take a break and sit back and vent a bit.

Thanks for all the input and help!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X