*Possible Carb Problem Need Assistance*

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Possible Carb Problem Need Assistance*

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I am glad to be here.

I have a 1993 GSX600F, The bike runs but only with the choke on, once I shut off the choke bike shuts off. I just purchased this bike seems like the owner let the bike sit for a long time (prob some years) I picked up a can of seafoam to see if that would help but its pretty much the same results.

I let the bike runs for about an hour after putting seafoam in the gas tank.At one point the bike ran smooth with the choke halfway closed, I have not reviewed the plugs but from what I understand they could be foul if the bike is ran with the choke on.

Just trying to save $600-$700. That's what the shop is charging for carb work.

Any experts out there that may be able to put me in the right direction ?
    I know that everything is not a quick fix but you guys may know of a few things I could do to help or maybe a trick or two

Thanks and Peace.

Originally posted by Red007 View Post
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I am glad to be here.

I have a 1993 GSX600F, The bike runs but only with the choke on, once I shut off the choke bike shuts off. I just purchased this bike seems like the owner let the bike sit for a long time (prob some years) I picked up a can of seafoam to see if that would help but its pretty much the same results.

I let the bike runs for about an hour after putting seafoam in the gas tank.At one point the bike ran smooth with the choke halfway closed, I have not reviewed the plugs but from what I understand they could be foul if the bike is ran with the choke on.

Just trying to save $600-$700. That's what the shop is charging for carb work.

Any experts out there that may be able to put me in the right direction ?
    I know that everything is not a quick fix but you guys may know of a few things I could do to help or maybe a trick or two

Thanks and Peace.
    click the wiki link above.

search carbs 101

download the pdf.

read carefully, follow the instructions.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I sell rebuilt carbs that are FAR better then what your dealership does (ask Krey, he has a set of carbs I built.) They are no where near $600-$700, they start at $375. PM me if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        I sell rebuilt carbs that are FAR better then what your dealership does (ask Krey, he has a set of carbs I built.) They are no where near $600-$700, they start at $375. PM me if interested.

He's not lying... FAR better than dealer rebuilt.

They will be clean, work right, and spot on. The only thing the carbs will need is to be synced to your bike (he can't do that, has to be done on your bike) and they are good to go.

Worth every penny.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

+1 on the arsenic solution, he knows his stuff. Oh, and welcome to the site.
          Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

I only have 1 more set of 90-97 600 carbs all done right now. I had 3, but one sold Monday, one sold Wednesday, you get the idea. It's spring, stuff doesn't wait around. I have another waiting on parts, and another on the way. I only have one done a ready to go right now. Otherwise it will be a few weeks.
            Last edited by arsenic; 05-05-2011, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Clean your own carbs using 101. Its easy!

I never did it before and using 101 I cleaned them and it was much easier than i thought.

Comment

Thank you all

Thank you all for your assistance, I have found a mobile mechanic(close to home) who will pick up my bike, repair it and deliver it to my home for a pretty reasonable price ($450.00 + warranty). I know I can do the job myself its just that I don't have the time right now with my busy schedule ( family, kids, work schedule (very demanding)doesn't really permit me to dedicate the time for the job. If I had more time I would save the money. I used to rebuild car engines and transmissions so I know I could learn to overhaul a bike carb.

again thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X