X

When's the best time to get service?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When's the best time to get service?

Just wondering when the best time to seek service is? Should I have it done over the winter, or wait til March or so, so its fresh for the season? The last thing I want is for it to get tied up when its nice out sitting in a shop, but I was wondering how much of a toll a cold winter would have on anything that got adjusted, etc...

sure, winter is the best season to take your bike in for service

dont wait til riding season start

Comment

Wednesday mornings in November. Usually the slow season at the mechanic's department of any dealership, so they don't feel rushed to get the work out of the door, and do it "right".

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

now the tricky question, where is the best place to take it to get serviced without feeling ripped off? a local dealer or what?
        Matt

The Difference Between Ordinary And Extraordinary Is That Little Extra

Comment

If you live where you can ride year round get it done during the colder months. Like Cyber said they get slow this time of year. My bike is in the shop right now. Ran into a problem I do not have the tools to fix it. If they had the part right then my bike would have been back to me in 2 days. I told them take their time. I am in no hurry.
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

after the kids have gone to bed? oooh you said get service not get serviced...
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Originally posted by somainevent
              now the tricky question, where is the best place to take it to get serviced without feeling ripped off? a local dealer or what?
              I'd say SpecialK's, but he's some 3000 miles from you. What I would recommend is to ask around among other Suzuki riders in your area -- both in person and in the SouthCal section of the various Katana boards. They should be able to tell you who sucks, who's good, etc. for your area. Dealerships and shops can be very hit-or-miss, depending on both the mood of the shop in general, and which mechanic you get in particular. I have my favorite mechanics (1 each at two different shops), and I make sure they handle any work I farm out because others at the same shops don't do the same quality work. I won't even talk about the other shops in the area... Generally a good rule of thumb is to ask how long each mechanic has been on staff at the Suzuki dealerships -- someone who has been there 5 or more years hasn't been screwing clients over and usually really knows his stuff, or he wouldn't be there any more.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I like to seek service after about 12 beers, that way my beer goggles are nice and thick
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

I was wondering who was going to say something like that
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Well, its gonna be too cold between now and March, so I'm gonna call up this week and see what can be done for me. I'm not using the local (within 3 miles) shop cauze I've asked around and heard nothing but bad remarks. I'd rather ride 30 and get it done right.

Comment

Good call. Just make sure you get opinions on the shop 30 miles away as well...

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: When's the best time to get service?

Originally posted by Sublime0069
                        Just wondering when the best time to seek service is? Should I have it done over the winter, or wait til March or so, so its fresh for the season? The last thing I want is for it to get tied up when its nice out sitting in a shop, but I was wondering how much of a toll a cold winter would have on anything that got adjusted, etc...
                        do it yourself.

tim

Comment

Eletrical work, I can do that, but I've never been much of a motorhead, much less do I have somewhere to work. The bike's kept outdoors yearround with a bike cover on it, so I really have no choice but to get it serviced elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Sublime0069
                            Eletrical work, I can do that, but I've never been much of a motorhead, much less do I have somewhere to work. The bike's kept outdoors yearround with a bike cover on it, so I really have no choice but to get it serviced elsewhere.
                            i see your point. i like to tear mine down - re-torque all chassis bolts
                            etc. plus general maintance - that way i know it's done.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Katgirl
                              I was wondering who was going to say something like that
                              hey I was first..
                              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Working...
                              X