Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

Gas in the oil AGAIN!! I just cant understand this!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas in the oil AGAIN!! I just cant understand this!

Alright I left the bike on PRI for like 3 months before and the airbox and oil were full of gas. I realized that was my stupid mistake and immediately changed the oil and cleaned the filter and airbox. I took the tank off and MADE SURE the petcock was working right. It poured out in PRI but didnt leak at all in ON or RES. I left the tank on the floor all night and didnt see any gas the next day while in ON position. So I assumed it was working after these tests. Put the bike back together and it ran as good as the day we got it. Rode it off and on for about 2 weeks and then let it sit for about 3 weeks with the petcock in the ON position. Went to start it and it tried to hydrolock. I noticed the gas was overfilled by almost a whole Qt. Now how in the hell did this happen? The petcock was working. Did it decide to just stop working when I didnt ride it for those 3 weeks? Or did it slowly open back up to let fuel by over those 3 weeks? Cant believe I gotta change the oil again,
    Honestly, I just want a manual petcock. I dont like this vacuum operated BS.
    Anything else besides the petcock that could have done this? I know the float in the carbs isnt working right but the petcock should have still kept the gas from going to the carbs right? Thanks all. Getting frustrated here.

If its still letting fuel past the petcock with it in the on position, it should not be letting fuel into the carbs. Sounds like you need to set your floats and get a petcock rebuild.
    1993 Suzuki GSX 600F Katana

sigpic

Comment

Can I get a manual petcock or rig this one to be manual? Theres no reason this should need rebuilding already. Its been kept inside, and it only has 2800 miles. Even if I rebuild this one, Im still not going to trust it and one day it will go bad again.
      I could atleast add another manual shut off somewhere for when it sits. For peace of mind.

Comment

manual petcock?
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

You could just pull (and plug) the vacuum line on the back of the petcock. You'd have to turn it to Prime to run the bike but that'd keep it from opening when it's set to On.

The other thing you could do is replace it with one from another bike. They're pretty much the same bolt spacing but the inlet filter may be a different length which will change the size of your reserve. Search ebay for "Suzuki (petcock, fuel cock, fuel valve)" and see what you get. Take a look at the parts fiche for the "Fuel Cock" for each one that looks likely. If there's a vacuum line then it's not the one you want.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by 2005600katana View Post
            Can I get a manual petcock or rig this one to be manual? Theres no reason this should need rebuilding already. Its been kept inside, and it only has 2800 miles. Even if I rebuild this one, Im still not going to trust it and one day it will go bad again.
            I could atleast add another manual shut off somewhere for when it sits. For peace of mind.
            Go with a pingel setup for a manual.

Comment

Bad petcock or stuck floats.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

It sounds to me like your petcock is working fine, the floats are not. I'd check them before trading out petcocks.
                Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

what i would do is get your carbs to stop leaking. thats basically your last line of defence when it comes to gas leaking when stored.. how old is the petcock in the bike now? and how old is the gas? maybe its too old and is sticking the petcock open.. wich makes sence cus ur carbs are leaking too.. change the gas completely, and clean both petcock and carbs.. that should get you on your way to being leak free
                  if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Cleaning the petcock will provide no value. Either the spring or diaphragm isn't working if he's getting enough gas into the oil that it's noticeable.

Actually the floats are the last line of defense against fuel in the oil.

If the petcock is bad, and the floats are functioning properly they should stop fuel from flowing.
                    Last edited by steves; 03-18-2011, 07:08 AM.
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Actually the floats are the last line of defense against fuel in the gas. Aren't fuel and gas the same?
                      2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                      2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
                        Actually the floats are the last line of defense against fuel in the gas. Aren't fuel and gas the same?
                        sometimes the head moves faster than the fingers.
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

If your petcock is going bad, you might as well do a rebuild, its not hard, cost About $25, and should last some years before going bad. Unless your a complete brain case (which I doubt you are) then you should be fine doing this. But either way, I hope you get things going the way you want.
                          1993 Suzuki GSX 600F Katana

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
                            It sounds to me like your petcock is working fine, the floats are not. I'd check them before trading out petcocks.
                            Please tell me how the petcock is working fine if its leaking while in the ON position?
                            Guys, what you have to understand is this bike doesnt get ridden alot sometimes. Im not going to keep rebuilding the petcock and Im not going to keep cleaning the floats because I can guarantee you they will both start doing it again. What I am going to do is go with a manual petcock so I always know its working or atleast make this one manual.

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                            You could just pull (and plug) the vacuum line on the back of the petcock. You'd have to turn it to Prime to run the bike but that'd keep it from opening when it's set to On.

The other thing you could do is replace it with one from another bike. They're pretty much the same bolt spacing but the inlet filter may be a different length which will change the size of your reserve. Search ebay for "Suzuki (petcock, fuel cock, fuel valve)" and see what you get. Take a look at the parts fiche for the "Fuel Cock" for each one that looks likely. If there's a vacuum line then it's not the one you want.
                            Thanks, I'll take alook at this. Any more suggestions?
                            Last edited by 2005600katana; 03-18-2011, 09:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

i had the exact same problem a few months ago and turns out it was the petcock. i got a rebuild kit from ebay and it fixed the problem.
                              sigpic
                              If everyone rode motorcycles there wouldn't be so many idiot drivers

Comment

Working...
                              X