X

Vapor Lock/Stalling Issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vapor Lock/Stalling Issues

I have 05' 750 with almost 80K on it. About a month ago, the bike would stall when braking hard and then it started stalling every time I would come to a stop. I finally got around to troubleshooting and the first thing I checked was a bent/clogged breather line - and it was. I just went a head and replaced the entire line since it was looking pretty bad and figured that would take care of the problem - not so. The bike ran fine for a little while and started doing the same thing, but not as often. Next step: checked all fuel lines, vacuum lines, air filter, fuel filter, and petcock diaphragm, all checked good.
    So this is where I am. I suppose it is possible that I have a bad fuel cap that is causing my problems. Considering they seem fairly expensive, I hope this isn't it. Also, about a year/20K miles ago, I removed the EVAP system just because I got tired of hearing that damn thing running. I have not had an issue with it during that period, and I am thinking if some thing was going to happen, it would have a while ago.
    So, any thoughts or suggestions. Fuel cap or EVAP?
    Thanks in advance.

I know on the pre's the cap has the vent built into it, assume the same for the posts. Try to drain your tank by using pri and see if it drains smoothly or if it creates a negative pressure.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion
      It does drains with a nice even flow with out a negative pressure. Any thing else you think it might be?

Comment

What about crap inside the tank clogging up that filter?
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

After emptying the tank while checking the flow on prime, I flushed the tank with fresh gas, refilled, went bout 5 miles - still stalled when stopping. When I got back I checked filter again just to make sure that wasn't it. I also made sure that no lines were pinched.

Comment

Stopping should'nt have any affect on fuel flow because the bowls will already be filled. It will run for a few minutes on whats inside the bowl. Have you cleaned the carbs? You might have some boogers that are sloshing around in there when you brake.

Comment

It was the fuel cap.

Comment

I was going to suggest cracking the cap and trying it.
                Then poking a wire to clear the vent.

Odd because the tank should build pressure more easily than reduce pressure.
                Does it restart easily after stalling? Because a build up in pressure can over ride the fuel valves (float valves) and flood the engine.

Comment

Working...
                X