X

How long do clutches last?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do clutches last?

I have just broke 18 thousand miles . I do ride hard but NO clutch drops.
    When do I need to replace it ? I dont feel any slippage but I am a preventive kind of guy.
    Joe
    sigpic

Mine lasts 90700 km... last thursday clutch cable broke, but that was the only problem...
    I guess I´m not so preventive!
    PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

I guess I have a ways to go. thanks
      sigpic

Comment

My clutch is stock, and its starting to slip at high rpm shifting. My bike has about 11,500 miles. It may need adjusting but it slips pretty bad when riding it in anger. idunno.........
        Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I know that when I put the synthetic car oil in it definitely slipped when I let the clutch out hard now I am running regular motorcycle oil and it stopped .
          Is there a adjustment down by the engine or is the clutch cable the only adjustment ?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KAT6
            I know that when I put the synthetic car oil in it definitely slipped when I let the clutch out hard now I am running regular motorcycle oil and it stopped .
            Is there a adjustment down by the engine or is the clutch cable the only adjustment ?
            Its just a cable adjustment, at the lever and at the clutch cover.

I use castrol "activo" cycle oil and mine still slips. anyone have any suggestions for us?!
            Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well, I use Motul 5100, 100% specific for motorbikes engines.
              PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

Could always buy new Barnett plates and springs for $100 and replace clutch with material that will not slip with synthetic oil. It takes alittle under 2 hours to do the job.
                Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

Originally posted by blkpitbull
                  Its just a cable adjustment, at the lever and at the clutch cover.

I use castrol "activo" cycle oil and mine still slips. anyone have any suggestions for us?!
                  If it's slipping with ACT/Evo then either the pads are glazed, or you've previously used a motor oil containing PFTE (teflon), Moly or graphite. There's nothing in JASO-MA spec oils that can make your clutch slip, and ACT/Evo is JASO-MA rated. Either way, if adjustments won't correct it, it's time for new clutch plates or at least resurfacing the old ones if they're glazed (IMHO: if you bother taking them out, replace them).

As for clutch life, it varies highly with the kind of riding you do. Obviously, someone constantly riding in urban areas will use the clutch far more often than a rural or long-distance touring rider, and it's use that wears through it (basically clutch pads are like brake pads -- simple friction materials).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks there poet!!

Comment

Working...
                    X