X

Carb Cleaning Nooby...READ 101

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Cleaning Nooby...READ 101

Alright, I have a 92 Katana 600. It is my first bike and I just got into riding last summer. The bike needs its carbs cleaned and I was going to jump into it this winter. The bike ran all last summer, but nearing the end of the summer it had a tough time idling. It would only run with the choke on very slightly. If the choke was off it died immediately. Also it had a slight hesitation when Id crank the throttle.
    I read CARBS 101 and feel as if I can jump into it but Im scared of a few things. I feel as if I understand all of the fuel bowl pieces and jets. One question on the jets...1. Is there a certain number of turns I turn them in, or just bottom them out until they are snug? Next, do I HAVE to pull the A/F screws to clean those? I do not want to adjust them and have to worry about that as well. Most of the youtube videos never mentioned cleaning the A/F screws.

Would I be all set to clean everything "inside" the float bowl, jets, needle, float etc.? Or do I have to pull the top of the carbs off as well? It just seems like there is less information and I definately know less about the top of the carbs as opposed to the bottom.

Again this is a noob question, just wondering what you guys think.

Thanks in advance..

If it only wants to idle on choke, you have a problem in the pilot circuit.

Jets: bottom out till snug
    AF Screws: Yes! You need to get the rubber out before you use the cleaner on it.
    You'll also want to adjust them... factory settings I've seen are WEIRD.
    Tops of carbs: Yes!

Follow carbs 101 for the disassembly... but it's not necessary to take them off the rail unless you have a problem with something specific and you need to get deep down clean.

ALSO inspect the insides of your gas tank (hint get a mirror) because if the tank is rusty no amount of cleaning the carbs will keep them clean.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Steves, Stock exhaust and stock intake. What would be the proper amount of turns back?

Or should I see what it is at now and leave it there?

Comment

Working...
      X