X

600 to 771???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 600 to 771???

I've heard of people taking a 600 motor and comverting it to a 771. Actually I think there's a couple people on here that's done it. Something about 750 GSX-R jugs (bored 1mm) and head. Does anybody here know anything about it? If it's possible, I'd like to do it with the 600 instead of just putting a 750 in it, or even starting with a 750 because of the shorter stroke of the 600. Any help you guys can offer would be GREATLY appreciated.

The place to find the pistons, rings, etc. is WiseCo (www.wiseco.com). Whether it's an option on your bike, I don't know, but I'm sure wiseco will list the kit if it's available.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I found the piston kit, but I'm uncertain about the jugs and head. Do you think the Wiseco tech line would have any info on it? I did a little looking into it already and found that it would have to be an older 750 (87-89 I believe). Problem is, there's a 748cc and a 749cc in all 3 years, and the parts will not interchange between the two.

Comment

Call them. It's their specialty.

PS - by the time you pay for reboring a 600 to a 771, you'd probably find and ship a 771 engine in good shape cheaper

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I thought about that as well, but can't seem to find one anywhere. I can pick up the jugs and head fairly cheap, as soon as I figure out which ones I need anyway. The piston kit is around $500 from what I've seen.

Comment

I have done it with a 2002 600. First and fore most IT IS NOT CHEEP! Here is how my parts break down.

I started with a 98+ (2002 to be exact) low mileage 600 engine.

Used 1992 GSXR 750 jugs. Bored 1mm over and used the Wiseco 1992 771 piston/rings/wrist pin kit (found a Dennis Kirk close out deal on eBay). The 1990-1992 GSXR 750 has the same length stroke and wrist pin diameter as the 98+ 600 engine.

Used a 1986 GSXR 750 head. Had the head rebuilt with 98+ Katana 750 valve springs, keepers, and all that stuff. Used new valves for the 1986 head.

I used cams for a 1988/89 GSXR 750 because they have the most aggressive profile. Found a NOS set at my local dealership for a song. That part was dumb luck. You can use cams from 1986-89 GSXR 750, 88-2005 Katana 750, 98-2005 Katana 600, 99-2005 Bandit 1200 or 600. I don't remember the years for the GSXR 1100.

I reused the stock 2002 cam gears, chain guides, and cam chain tensioner. Get a base gasket for a 98+ Kat 750 and a head gasket from Wiseco.

I estimate that I'm putting out about 105-110 HP at the shaft. I haven't had a chance to get it on a dyno yet.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Clean
              I have done it with a 2002 600. First and fore most IT IS NOT CHEEP
              You ever sit down and figure out what the total cost on the project was for you?

Just curious...

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I've got a ball park figure, and it's cheaper than buying a complete new motor. I've done some research, and there's a couple more things I need to check, but I think I can make this work pretty easily, and if it does.....WHOA! I've got 98hp at the rear wheel right now out of a 600. (I guess that would actually be a B6 seeing as it's a Bandit motor) Can't wait to see what I can get out of this converted thing if I can make it work.

Comment

Yeah Cyber I did keep a spread sheet of everyhting I spent building the 771. If I take out all the money I spent on dress up items such as the Factory Pro covers, chromeing all the engine covers, and anodized bolts the final tally comes to about $1,200. And that isn't counting buying the engine. I sold the original 600 engine out of my bike for more than what I paid for the engine I built into the 771.

Comment

Working...
                  X