X

600 exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 600 exhaust

just got a new V&H exhaust system for my 1995 and on the last bolt to take off on stock header the thing snapped off in the block gonna try and heat it up tomorrow and drill it out...any tips?

snap-on reverse cut drill bits and extractor set.

best $50 I ever spent!

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
      snap-on reverse cut drill bits and extractor set.

best $50 I ever spent!
      ok sweet i'll look into that

Comment

Half the time when you are drilling the bolt comes out while drilling from the heat and reverse pressure.

Just remember how critical it is to centrepunch the bolt exactly in the center.
        Get your drill angle just right.
        And don't go too far.

Then you won't need to become a heli coil expert.

Comment

What he said^. I hate that I know what a heli coil is.

Comment

Well I drilled the bolt and put the extractor in and that snapped off in the bolt....this sucks...now I'm looklng for some carbide bits to drill the extractor out

Comment

I believe that's what my automotive teacher called a " Chernobyl".

If it doesn't look like one yet, it will...

Sorry to hear it man.

I doubt you will have any luck finding a bit that will drill the extractor, especially that small, I am assuming it is 8mm? I have heard of a trick of sharpening good quality carbide tipped concrete drill bits and drilling hardened steel, but they have a tendency to wander, it's best to do that operation in a drill press.

Comment

whats the chances 7 of 8 bolts holding header on will not leak on that cylinder....i think i already know that answer

Comment

That's only half the bolts holding on to that cylinder, chances of a leak are high, but you knew that.

Maybe it's time to consult some pro help before you end up needing to buy a cylinder head?

I am not being mean here. If you continue working on it and the situation gets worse, you may need to at least take the head off and take it to a machine shop.

At this point, maybe for 2 hours labour a pro might be able to save it and chalk it up to experience.

AND put a light coat of anti-seize compound on the bolts when you reinstall them.
                  Last edited by jetmerritt; 11-10-2010, 09:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

i ordered a solid carbide reverse drill bit and if that does not work i already found a new cylinder head...i don't mind taking it to a shop but at this point i'll try one last time with the drill bit and if not i'll put on the new head...thanks for ur input...i'll post how it turns out friday

Comment

well the solide carbide bit was doing a great job but then it snapped...i decided to bolt on new header and pipe anyway with 7 bolts and the motorcycle gods must be helping because it doesn't leak or if it is it is not noticable i think over winter i need to adjust the valves and go bigger on main jet and adjust floats so i will take head off and take to machine shop but i can atleast ride a few more times yet

Comment

im taking my header off tomorrow. hope i dont run into the same problem
                        '01 600 Kat w/ Vance and Hines Pipe

Comment

pb blasterthe hell out of them and let sit over night makes life better most of the time

Comment

run the bike before hand also to heat up the bolts...i didn't do that it i think thats why it was so hard

Comment

Working...
                            X