No announcement yet.
X

Starts but won't stay running

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I got the exhaust thing figured out. The plastic wasn't in the pipe it was on it. Still wondering about the smoke coming out of the exhaust after it's off. It's like the batting is burning or something.

Also it idles at about 5k. I let the slack out of the throttle lines and it's down to there from the 7k earlier. It's popping and smoking while it runs. And it looks like smoke is coming out the side of the can.
    "Courage is not reckless abandon, or bravery in the absence of fear. It is the knowledge of fear, the wisdom to know the costs of failure, the prudence to minimize those costs, and, in so doing, courage is the mastery of fear. Courage without fear is lunacy."

Comment

Guess everyone is out riding . Wish I was.

Anyways, I called my brother who is a mechanic and he told me the smoking part could be caused by bad oil and such. So I ran some Quick Clean through it, then changed it and put the MOA in it like he said. No smoking now at all.

When it first started up it idled around 2k, then over 2 minutes slowly climbed back to 6,000. Throttle cables are off and the throttle is slammed shut. So it's idling at 6k on the pilot circuit.

Exhaust leak or a air leak somewhere you think?
      "Courage is not reckless abandon, or bravery in the absence of fear. It is the knowledge of fear, the wisdom to know the costs of failure, the prudence to minimize those costs, and, in so doing, courage is the mastery of fear. Courage without fear is lunacy."

Comment

I hope you used the correct oil not regular car oil. If your butterflies are shut WITH slack in your cable then it has to be sucking air in somewhere. WHat are your a/f screw set at? Those may need richened up.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

No I used one of the oils recommended in the oil thread I found on here somewhere. Caster-oil GTX premium 5w40 with no energy conserving stuff, and none of the codes we were supposed to have. My A/F screws are set at 1.75. I actually turned them down from 2.25 on advice from my brother. Said it sounded way too rich over the phone.

Anyways, after I turned them down it will idle the way you'd expect, I had to use the choke and turn the idler up a lot, but it's at 1250. Pretty rough, but I haven't synced them yet. But, when I rev it, it goes quickly and happily to 11k, then comes back down to 2500RPM and sits there. I can hit the throttle real quick a few times, or fiddle with the idler and it'll come back down to 1250RPM. It's all warm and running without choke now. Think syncing the carbs will fix that?

EDIT: I have the throttle cables tightened back up too.
          Last edited by downrangefuture; 10-30-2010, 04:27 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Sync'd the carbs with my vacuum gauge. A PITA to be sure, but it works. Let's play, "Watch the bouncing needle". Anyways, seemed to take care of the sticking when it's coming down from high or mid RPM. Idles smooth too. Now to put the beast back together, 'cause she lives once again.

Muah, ha ha... Er, I'm going to a halloween party later. That's my excuse.

Comment

Make sure you aren't running too lean, 1.75 is lean especially with an aftermarket pipe. 2.5 is a general good starting point, if it still hangs the idle it's lean. Opening the a/f screw allows more fuel richening it, vice versa. Pull your plugs after a ride and see what they look like.
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Okay, sounds like a plan. It's not such a huge deal to reset those screws now that I put a petcock on that doesn't leak. I'll put them at 2.5 and let you know. I've noticed that it doesn't stick at 2k, but it hesitates there for a second or so on it's way down to idle.

EDIT: it'll be awhile. I have to finish getting over the party last night.
                Last edited by downrangefuture; 10-31-2010, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Yep. too lean. Runs with the choke pulled, but drops to 500 when I let the choke out. Dies whenever I hit the throttle. So, I let her sit with the choke on for a minute or two, then it works okay. Some pops on the down rev and dies before it hits idle.

I'm sure if I let it warm up and idle off and on for awhile it'd act like it was yesterday. But at least I know the bike just needs some tuning now. A far cry from when I almost gave up and sold it two weeks ago.

EDIT: Too lean before I adjusted the A/F screws.
                  Last edited by downrangefuture; 10-31-2010, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Well, I finally got it figured out. All four spark plugs had oil on them. At least, I'm pretty sure it was oil. Shiny and it wiped right off. Fits all the problems. Hard starting, misfiring, hesitation or outright dying when I hit the throttle. The first day it was running again, it had been at 6k RPM so it obviously got hot enough to cover the starting issue, but it still stumbled a bit when I'd hit the throttle. And it had been smoking since I bought it... A real thick smoke, kind of closer to black than white.

Comment

Change your oil again before you give up and make sure the airbox isn't full of oil.

Comment

Alright. I'll do that. Airbox is dry as a bone tho.

Comment

what does it mean if the air box is not dry?
                          GO HARD OR GO HOME

Comment

It means something leaked in there. Duh. Seriously, the breather hose on the top connects to the crankcase to exhaust any gas fumes that natually accumulate there. So, if oil pressure is too high you could leak oil back into the airbox. Also if the petcock floods out the float bowls, generally the first indication you get is when gas starts leaking out of the airbox.

The breather on top of the crankcase is like a maze for the air in an attempt to keep most of the oil spray out of the airbox. Some will still leak through though. But if you have much more than a light coating in the airbox then you'll have problems.

As my kat hasn't really run in 2 months, the airbox is dry.

Comment

Working...
                            X