X

chain tensioner???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain tensioner???

i need help getting the chain tight on my 95 kat 600.the swing arm tensioners are set all the way back and the chain is still loose is their a tensioner at the front that could be loose?or does something need to be replaced from wear?any help is greatly appreciated

Could it be old and that stretched? If so I would get a new one. You could remove some links, but then again if it is that old and stretched it is a matter of time before it snaps on you. I am not aware of a front tensioner.

Comment

well its only a little over a year old but its not an o ring chain wich im getting tomorow.i guess its stretched iv ridden a whole lot since its been on and kept it lubbed but i guess since its a cheap chain its time to get a new one now from all the riding o have done its probably stratched out like you said thanx i appreciated it i didnt think of that

Comment

Short version... if you can do this:

Chain is toast.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

looking into replacing sprockets and chain on a 750 kat 2003........ what do u all suggest? what is diff between 520 and 530 chain? would like to go alum? is it an easy do it yourself operation?

Comment

Why would you want an aluminum chain? Can you even buy an aluminum chain? This is my opinion....... anything made from aluminum is going to wear out fast if it is subjected to contact from any other material. Ex: chain on sprocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
              Why would you want an aluminum chain? Can you even buy an aluminum chain? This is my opinion....... anything made from aluminum is going to wear out fast if it is subjected to contact from any other material. Ex: chain on sprocket.
              I'm sure he was refering to the Vortex aluminum sprockets not an aluminum chain. Aluminum sprockets can shed about 6lbs off the bike and lighter= faster and better....

Comment

Originally posted by jksweet View Post
                looking into replacing sprockets and chain on a 750 kat 2003........ what do u all suggest? what is diff between 520 and 530 chain? would like to go alum? is it an easy do it yourself operation?
                520 chain is narrower than 530. There is some debate about whether it matters at all on a bike with 70hp, but I prefer to stick with the 530 (marginally more sq. in. of engagement means a wider area to spread the same force over)..... but honestly if you use a good quality 520 and take care of it you probably won't be disappointed with the life of it. Aluminum sprockets wear out faster, but they're lighter. Not a big fan of them for street use.

BTW- If you ask this question to 25 long-time riders, you're likely to get about 10 different answers. It's kind of a personal preference, like oil, tires, etc.
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I have heard that alum sprockets wear out fast I would go all steel for reliability unless your racing the bike I don't see the weight saving from alum being all that noticeable or worth having to change it again sooner. Just my .02
                  My Build

Comment

Originally posted by 92750 View Post
                    I have heard that alum sprockets wear out fast I would go all steel for reliability unless your racing the bike I don't see the weight saving from alum being all that noticeable or worth having to change it again sooner. Just my .02

+1

The aluminum sprocket is just going to wear faster and I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference in performance.
                    89 Katana 750
                    06 Honda CRF250R

Comment

Originally posted by chamrck09 View Post
                      I'm sure he was refering to the Vortex aluminum sprockets not an aluminum chain. Aluminum sprockets can shed about 6lbs off the bike and lighter= faster and better....
                      so can a nice big dump

Comment

Go with the 530 and skip the aluminum. Chain is no place to be cheap or experimental. It is something most of us don't check as often as we shopuld and better to be heavy duty than doggy doodie.

Comment

aluminum chain???????????/ r u serious!!!!! do u really think i want an alum chain? i was talking sprocket....................................

Comment

I ran into this same problem just in the past 4 days. chain was jumping and sing and binding. it was a mess!!
                            i went down to the local bike shop and luck for me they had ordered the wrong part for someone else and have a RK 530 sprocket and chain set there. so i jumped on it and went home with it.

here is what i learned when i replaced the sprockets and chain just yesterday.
                            1) leave the chain on untill you have broken the front sprocket loose (dont ask)

2) a 2x4 through the rear rim helps in breaking the front sprocket nut loose

3) you can use a hacksaw to cut the old chain off (stock chain did not have a master link)

4) the kit i got did not have a master link so luckly had a buddy who had the tool kit to get the chain together.

if you have any ?'s PM me.

after doing a little searching i found the how to.
                            this would have helped me yesterday.

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                            mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
                            Last edited by solgerny; 10-18-2010, 02:50 PM. Reason: for how to posting

Comment

Originally posted by solgerny View Post
                              2) a 2x4 through the rear rim helps in breaking the front sprocket nut loose

I just use the rear brake...

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Working...
                              X