X

idle hangs then gets normal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle hangs then gets normal

OK, I justreplaced the gasket for the clutch cover. I just replaced my clutch lever (broke). I decided to swap out the spark plugs for new ones (one bad plug). I cleaned the carbs a few months back, but the bike ran fine until now. I fixed the leak in the petcock with an o-ring a few months ago.

The bike (post 600) sat for about two weeks while i got all the stuff, the clutch lever and gasket, and replaced it. I just put in the new plugs and all cylinders fire. Now this SOB won't run right.

I went for short ride to get gas. It was fun since my battery was dead and i forgot to charge it. It died while i was checking the spark plugs for spark (turned the engine a few times). I sat at the gas station and they were nice enough to let me use the outlet to recharge for about 20 minutes, so i could start the engine (be patient, the problem will come). The i rode it home. On the way, my shifts were jerky. I stopped and pulled in the clutch. I gave it gas and my revs went down really slow. This must be why my shifts were jerky because i was shifting around 4k.

I went home and checked again and fiddled with the idle adjustment (little screw on carbs). I turned it up because i was afraid of it getting too low on the way back and bike shutting off because of the battery. I know it would not happen, but i just wanted to be careful. I sat in neutral and reved the engine and the tach would go down slower than i was used to. It was less now, but still too slow. It seems to want to get stuck at 3k but comes down within a second or two. The engine sounds a bit rough, too. I did an oil change with mobile 4t and conventional was in there before, so it might be the oil?

What would cause the revs to not return to idle fast enough? why is it staying at 3k before returning to normal? Has anybody noticed a louder sounding engine with mobile 4t after conventional? Man, i need FI.

a hanging idle is almost a sure sign of a lean condition. numerous reasons for it to be lean. the search button is your friend, this problem comes up a few times a week it seems

Comment

had the same problem with mine a while back...when i was reassembling everything i forgot to tighten one of the carb boot clamps which caused it to go lean.

Comment

I guess i will check for a leak. The boots might be the problem. Why does it get better when warm the idle is set around 1100?

Comment

everything is heated and swells up? leak is reduced. my old yamaha fj got worse when warm, really bad if siting in traffic hot, idle would hang bad.

Comment

Working...
          X