X

tranny or carbs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tranny or carbs?

When I am in any gear, and just let off the throttle and let the idle speed pull me along, the speed is inconsistent. I am not sure how to describe it, but it is in essence as if the bike were bucking, but it won't shut off. It'll get a quick shot of power, then none, quick shot, then none, almost as if someone were giving me a quick nudge from behind every other second.

Is this a transmission problem, or can this be attributed to the carbs not being cleaned or properly synced?

I guess I should also note that when in neutral, I do not have a stable idle. It will bounce around from 1400 to 1000 RPMs.
    Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
    '97 Intruder 1400

Is your chain tight? Before I ever tightened mine, on light throttle and when I would just let off the throttle it would buck pretty hard. Once I tightened it though, it was much better.

Comment

Yeah, the chain is set to proper tension.
      Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
      '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Your rough idle is the problem. But, don't let your bike idle In gear while riding... Give it some gas or put it in neutral.
        Tejasandre

Comment

Originally posted by tejasandre View Post
          Your rough idle is the problem. But, don't let your bike idle In gear while riding... Give it some gas or put it in neutral.
          Does it cause serious problems or damage? I just use it when im cruising through a parking lot sometimes, or if I'm looking at some scenery
          Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
          '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Originally posted by tejasandre View Post
            But, don't let your bike idle In gear while riding... Give it some gas or put it in neutral.
            Um...what?
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

try turning the idle screw? I'm assuming its idling at 2-4k ?

Comment

no, I said before it idles around 1000 to 1400 rpms. 2k-4k is WAAAAY off. I'd be a bit more worried if it was idling around there.

I have tried the idle adjustment screw and I can't get a stable idle that way either. I know I need to clean the carbs.

The question is whats causing the problem. If we all agree that it's the carbs, then thats my answer.
                Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

I can't say I've ever attempted to idle around like that..... why would you? Stunters need that, so the bike will keep moving even when they aren't touching the bars, so they jack up the idle speed. I can't think of a reason that a normal rider would want to ride the bike at idle.

Why doesn't it work? Because carburetors don't adapt to the load you put on the engine. If your idle is set at 1200 rpm, then you're letting just enough air through to create enough power to overcome engine drag at 1200 rpm. Any additional drag (like moving a 500lb motorcycle) is going to lower engine speed, which lowers engine vacuum (which lowers the fuel coming through the idle circuit), and that happening on a bike that doesn't idle terribly well to begin with results in what you have going on there.

That surging you describe is usually a symptom of running too lean. Look for a dirty pilot/idle circuit, or a vacuum leak. I would do the brake cleaner test before pulling the carbs.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                    I can't say I've ever attempted to idle around like that..... why would you? Stunters need that, so the bike will keep moving even when they aren't touching the bars, so they jack up the idle speed. I can't think of a reason that a normal rider would want to ride the bike at idle.

Why doesn't it work? Because carburetors don't adapt to the load you put on the engine. If your idle is set at 1200 rpm, then you're letting just enough air through to create enough power to overcome engine drag at 1200 rpm. Any additional drag (like moving a 500lb motorcycle) is going to lower engine speed, which lowers engine vacuum (which lowers the fuel coming through the idle circuit), and that happening on a bike that doesn't idle terribly well to begin with results in what you have going on there.

That surging you describe is usually a symptom of running too lean. Look for a dirty pilot/idle circuit, or a vacuum leak. I would do the brake cleaner test before pulling the carbs.
                    agreed, my guess is a dirty pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post

Its not necessarily that I want to, I am just guessing that there was something that wasn't quite right and I like my toys to run perfectly.

Thanks for suggestion, I am going to be taking the bike apart over the winter and working on/replacing a bunch of stuff, carbs being one of them. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't need to add anything onto my list.

Thanks guys!
                      Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                      '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Working...
                      X