Normal petcock operation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal petcock operation

Hi folks,
    While I was draining my fuel tank today, I noticed something funny and wondered if this was normal or not.

When I turned the knob to prime, fuel began flowing out of both nipples (I have a pre), but then all the flow when to the front one, as if the suction of the moving gas prevented any from leaving the rear opening. When I plugged then front, the gas flowed freely from the rear opening.

I cleaned the petcock recently, and am pretty sure I put it back together correctly.

I put it all back on the bike, and primed the carbs. I let the engine run for a while then took a look at the fuel hoses. The rear-facing short hose was full, but the front-facing long hose was full to about the halfway point, and the rest was mostly air and a small trickle of fuel.

It stayed like this even if I got the bike upright, or tilted it side to side.

Do you guys or gals (with clear fuel hoses) usually see this? Or maybe I don't have enough vacuum to fully open the petcock to keep the fuel lines full?

Update:
    With the bike off, I put the petcock in prime, pulled the vacuum line from the carb and gave it a good hard suck.

The front facing fuel line did not finish filling with fuel.
    Last edited by rolofung; 08-28-2010, 05:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1993 GSX750F
Working...
X