X

dropped my fuel tank need part...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dropped my fuel tank need part...

I dropped my fuel tank on my 91 kat 600... the knob came off of the petcock and there is a white plastic piece inside that broke... where can i find just that one piece... or do i need to buy a new petcock? bah this sucks.

maybe i can glue it back together?

pics now lower down thread.
    Last edited by zooki91; 09-04-2010, 01:51 PM.

Dealer might be able to get you that one part, but you should be prepared to have to buy a whole new fuel tap because I very much doubt you can get that one piece to order

Comment

well hell, i might as well try glue

Comment

before i buy a new petcock is there a rebuild kit with that piece on it?

Comment

from previous looking at the petcock I think you have to get the whole assembly if you cant glue it together.

take a look :
          http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/..._L_M_N_P_R_S_T
          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

pics coming when i wake up...

Comment

pics

The last pic is the broken part. just took some of the rest of it to show its condition... really dont want to have to buy a replacement. I'll glue it soon but was wondering what type of glue would be best for this peice. PVC glue?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by zooki91; 09-04-2010, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Plastic parts that are in contact with fuel are tough to glue together. My best guess would be to use something like Permatex #84107 (a high strength epoxy), but even that I'm not sure would hold up to constant gasoline immersion. Hopefully somebody else will chime in that has found something that works.
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

yeah well... i tried loctite plastic epoxy and it didn't hold up.... however i a able to turn the petcock now..... just have to be very careful.

Comment

I had success with super glue gluing a broken float post before.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

super glue an duct tape a rednecks arsenal.....if you cant fix it with either than you didnt try harad enough
                      time to nut up or shut up
                      Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
                      The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

Here is some info on choosing an adhesive....... as you can see, there isn't one in the chart that is excellent for plastics AND at resisting gasoline, but it looks like a 2-part acrylic would do fairly well, and standard old super glue (cyanoacrylate) would probably do the trick as well if you make sure your surface is prepped.

Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

thanks for the help guys i've got it...... kind of working now

Comment

that epoxy didn't hold up... anyone know if any other petcocks would use the same white piece im looking for? Like maybe the 88-89 petcock or newer models?

Comment

here is a site you can check... it says lots of years are the same. you can also get the OEM part number for the petcock. The link will bring you right to the petcock and what years match.

Petcock only
                              http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/petcock

Fuel system link
                              http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...emblies/125625
                              Last edited by FunEMT; 09-24-2010, 07:16 PM. Reason: added stuff
                              FunEMT
                              2000 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                              X