X

Ethanol - A "new" issue to look for...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
    4- is covered with a bunch of half-truths and backyard mechanic theories in another thread. Hardly something to stand on. And ALL alcohol that you drink is ethanol, genius! It certainly isn't isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) or methanol (very toxic). Just another beautiful example of a lot of talk with no facts.

3- I have to assume that this went over your head. It's not a really difficult concept. Alcohol is run around 9:1 afr, and gas is run around 14:1. In any given space, that's more fuel you are using with alcohol...... BUT, in almost any situation, alcohol makes more power than pump gas.

6- I don't need to read the manual for gas any more than I need to read the manual to figure out how to change gears. My fuel system is sparkly clean, and I have no problems with any pump gas.
    Pretty much what you said here. There is a reason Top Fuel and Funny Cars run alcohol...just sayin'.

Comment

• Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
      Pretty much what you said here. There is a reason Top Fuel and Funny Cars run alcohol...just sayin'.
      Or sprint cars and Modified Dirt Track cars!!!!
      wrecked em hell, damn near killed em.

Comment

• If you have a Sonoco gas station around your area they sell none ethenol gas m goin to try there next and se if theres a difference

Comment

• Let us know if you see a difference or not. Around here, SE MO, I can't find a station that sells the non-ethanol even after checking the online locator websites.
          Tony
          1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page

Comment

• We have faced a lot of problems with gasoline here in Brasil because all gas has 20-25% of ethanol and new cars its flex its means that you can put just ethanol or just gasoline or both together that function very well but for old bikes specially the japaneses like our Katanas its complicated so after a lot of checking we have concluded that
            To avoid problems with your carb's and tank fuel you should always start your engine if you can't ride just start the engine by 10 minuts just for the carbs burn the old gasoline if you leave ethanol in the carbs for so much time keeps like a goo in the carbs and start's the problems if you clean your carbs and the problem came back you should clear your tank fuel.
            Here we have a gasoline with 96% octanas made by Petrobras but its very very expensive something like US$ 2,00 / Litre its also clean the system but you'll spend so many time looking smoke of the dirt buring in the scap

Comment

• Originally posted by KATANA-BRASIL View Post
              We have faced a lot of problems with gasoline here in Brasil because all gas has 20-25% of ethanol and new cars its flex its means that you can put just ethanol or just gasoline or both together that function very well but for old bikes specially the japaneses like our Katanas its complicated ...

Really?..

Huh...

Someone mentioned that it wasn't any sort of a problem at all for Katanas in Brasil. Who was that?

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

• loudnlow said that ethanol in Brazail wasn't a problem, then he mouthed off something horrible at Fred and got banned for it.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

• Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                  The Katana engine was designed in the 80s...did they even know what ethanol was back then?
                  In the late 70's early 80's there were some stations selling "Gasohol" which as far as I can tell was the beginning of the new blended gas we all are stuck with.
                  John,
                  '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    Really?..

Huh...

Someone mentioned that it wasn't any sort of a problem at all for Katanas in Brasil. Who was that?

Krey
                    Hello my friend
                    Ethanol its really no problem and cheaper than gasolina but you must keep riding the bike if you leave stoped for a long time ethanol demage carbs and tank fuel.
                    The biggest problem its the mix of things that gas statin put in the gasoline here some days ago I went for a city 200 Km from Sao Paulo and stoped in a gas station in the righ way completed the tank the bike went until home failing and didn't pass 100 Km / Hour the problem was gasoline baptzed with a lot of chemicals product's

Comment

• Well, after driving my c14 around for a mOnth, got the itch to drive the Katana 1100.
                      I guess I forgot to add additive at last fillup as it ran like crap.
                      My psychic mind sees emulsion tubes that are
                      Clogged up. Not hard to clean, just a pain in the rear when there
                      Are other things I'd rather be doing.

Comment

• I know I'm new here but wouldn't Seafoam or some other cleaner/stabilizer help you out regardless of the quality of gas? All the gas stations I go to here in South FLA use 10% ethanol in every grade. My old FZR kept cloging up on me but that seafoam blasted everything out and ran great for a while every time.

Comment

• The guys at both major shops here in the tri cities area in TN recommend this stuff, you can buy it at Lowe's in the lawnmower and chainsaw areas.

Here's another link to it.

Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.
                          sigpic
                          1989 GSX750F Kat GSXR750 engine Yoshi pipe Jet Kit K&N filters
                          Former US Navy, but I'll always be a sailor.

The wrench turning I can do, but its the knowledge about Bikes I'm lacking.

Comment

• Never seen it before. How much is a bottle?

Comment

• Looks like it is probably the same kind of thing as marine stabil.
                              1992- project katfighter
                              2005- GSXR750
                              2001- TL1000R
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

• sea foam is also a stabilizer
                                I use sea foam even in my mixed fuel for the weed wacker and leaf blower
                                Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Working...
                                X