X

Chain keeps getting loose

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain keeps getting loose

Every time I tighten my chain it just loosens up again. I tightened my chain yesterday with just under an inch of slack, now its atleast 1.5.

OK I think you want about 1/2 inch slack..
    I think!!! Next, are you sure you are tightening up on the adjusters?
    When I adjust:
    I back the nuts out evenly untill the plates
    at the end of the swing arm arew loose.
    Then push the wheel forward,
    (yes this adds slack!) then evenly
    tighten the nuts. (keeping an eye on the
    hash marks to make sure it is even)
    Now you know the tensioners are pulling the
    chain tight. Now tighten the axle to spec..

The axle bolt should be doing most of the work in
    keeping the chain tight, but with out those tensioners..
    forget it...
    The reason I back the tensioners out is just because this is the first bike
    I've had with internal ones and I need to know they are engaged and working. Before I could see them.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
      OK I think you want about 1/2 inch slack..
      I think!!!
      Nope . That's WAY too tight . My manual for the pre98's say 1.2-1.5" . Your method is the way I adjust mine too , though . Once I turn the adjusters a bit , I'll push the wheel forward , half-tighten it , and recheck . Remember , the slack SHOULD be checked with you ON the bike if you can , or at least on the sidestand .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

(A) 1/2 inch is way too tight. This is from the Kat owner's manual, as measured on the centerstand:

(B) Your chain is probably already compromised at some of the seals and elongated as a result.

(C) Try this test:

If you can pull the chain off the sprocket by 1mm, it's time for a new chain and sprockets. If you can pull it up the type of amounts shown in the picture, it's no longer safe to ride that bike until the chain is replaced.

(D) Read CyberPoet's "understanding motorcycle chain wear and maintenance," at MotorcycleAnchor.com, now offering speedbleeder kits for Suzuki GSX600F & GSX750F cheaply!

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yes, the chain does pull off the sprocket, im sure atleast 1 mm. Does this mean the chain is getting stretched everytime I tighten it? Is it a MUST replace or am i okay riding it around for another week or so?

Comment

Originally posted by m2736185
            Yes, the chain does pull off the sprocket, im sure atleast 1 mm. Does this mean the chain is getting stretched everytime I tighten it?
            It means the seals at the rollers are toasted and every time you tighten it up further, you're damaging the seals and the spockets further.

Originally posted by m2736185
            Is it a MUST replace or am i okay riding it around for another week or so?
            I can't tell you without seeing the chain itself, but I would get it done ASAP personally. If I can pull a chain out 2mm or so, I wouldn't want to ride on it. If you do have to ride on it, loosen the tension and lube the living @#*$% out of it, plus pray...

A chain damaged enough will break (snap a link), and when it does, if you're lucky it just goes skittering away down the road. If you're not lucky (and not everyone is), it will wind itself around the front sprocket and basically rip your tranny to shreds, or wind itself around the back sprocket and lock the wheel up unexpectedly (which could result in a serious accident). Or, if you're really unlucky (such as you removed the chain guards), it could wrap itself around your leg and then yank itself across the front sprocket anyway, acting like a chainsaw or vice to your leg (this last one isn't very common any more -- at least since manufacturers started putting multiple guards over the chain, front sprocket, rear sprocket, etc).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by md86
              Remember , the slack SHOULD be checked with you ON the bike if you can , or at least on the sidestand .
              Big thumbs up for remembering that md86!!!!

I got the "clack clack clack" after adjusting it on the centerstand..
              Lucky I didn't ride it.. (heard it "duck walking")

Comment

Working...
              X