No announcement yet.
X

No Clutch/Chain Broke - What Happened?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Clutch/Chain Broke - What Happened?

Newbie here, so be easy on me. I was shifting from second to third when the chain broke. After getting off the bike, I noticed that there was no resistance when pulling in the clutch, it just felt as if there was nothing there. Did some thing happen with the clutch to cause the chain to break, or did the chain breaking do something to the clutch? Is it something that I did or did not do?
    The bike is a 2005 750. I bought it less than 2 years ago with 6k on it and it now has a little over 28K. It does have an extended warranty until September, but I do not want to bring it in if it is determined that the clutch issue was caused by me and they want to charge me just to look at it.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I am on a limited budget and cannot afford to pay someone "just to look at it."
    One other thing, and I know this sounds petty, but I am just barely making ends meet. If it is the clutch that caused the chain to break at no fault of my own, do you think the warranty will cover a new chain? Sorry for all of the uneducated questions, but I am new to this and I do not trust dealers.

it's possible that the chain issue caused the the clutch problem. there is a pivot for the pushrod that operates the clutch. it's possible that the chain damaged that part. if the chain is a covered part then it should be covered. good luck.
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

as above, chain broke, the backlash killed the clutch rod pivot, or the clutch rod itself.

pull the sprocket cover, replace the chain/sprockets and check those parts:

pivot has the spring on it:

you can see the clutch push rod just above my right hand:

See My Garage for mods...
      T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
      Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Unlikely this will be a warranty claim. The chain is a wear item and it is a service item, i.e. it must be maintained. The chain broke, separated, etc. and caused damage to the clutch mechanism as Jay posted in those pics.

Do you still have the broken chain?

Is it the original chain? If not is it a rivet master link or clip master link?
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Thank you everyone! I will get on this as soon as I can and give you an update.
          It is not the original chain (maybe 8k on it) and is a rivet master link. Should I get a clip master link for the new chain?

Comment

Ok, the rod is broken. After searching the threads it appears as though I should replace the seal as well, even though it is not leaking? However, I could not find any threads on how to replace the rod and seal. So if anyone can direct me to a thread are give me instructions, that would be great. I did find Jimmy's clutch adjustment though. That will be a great help.
            Thank you again.

Comment

not sure on the seal, but the rod just slides out by pulling on it.

PM Jimmy (HS2020), he can get you a brand new rod and seal at a slight discount.

See My Garage for mods...
              T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
              Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Don't get a clip link chain.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by fins View Post
                  Ok, the rod is broken. After searching the threads it appears as though I should replace the seal as well
                  It's a good thing that only the rod is broken. Many stories of when the chain brakes at speed it whips into the crankcase and puts a big hole into it.

If the seal is not damaged or leaking I wouldn't bother replacing it.

As steves pointed out, if at all possible use a rivet master link.
                  How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                  How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                  How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                  How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

if you have to use a clip link because you don't have the tool, use it only temp. to ride to get it riveted by someone with the tool.
                    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                    X