X

Bike fell, throttle not responsive

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike fell, throttle not responsive

So long story short, guy runs a red in front of me and the bikes on the ground. I got it started, blowing a fair bit of smoke, the smoke seems to have cleared up. The bike starts and idles, but it lacks the throttle response it had before. My initial thoughts are the one cylinder is not firing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

Originally posted by macgyver89 View Post
    So long story short, guy runs a red in front of me and the bikes on the ground. I got it started, blowing a fair bit of smoke, the smoke seems to have cleared up. The bike starts and idles, but it lacks the throttle response it had before. My initial thoughts are the one cylinder is not firing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

Start with the basics...

Check each exhaust downtube... if you find any colder than others, then you narrowed it down to that cylinder.

Check the plugs for any problem cylinders, it may be fouled.

If that fixes it only short term and problem returns... you have a carb issue. Need to clean the carbs and check the floats.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Another thing... I dont know what year your bike is but I have a pre-98 and when my bike fell over the crank case cover cracked. I didnt notice the crack for a few weeks when my shoe started showing oil speckles. I removed the cover thinking it was just a gasket but it turns out the case cover had very fine, hair line cracks. If thats your case then you maybe able to fix it by smearing some JB Weld inside the cover.
      My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

A good jolt can shake loose crap that was in your carbs but settled to where it wasn't hurting thing. Can also do the same with your tank. Pulling your plugs is the best way to see whats going on internally, might just be a fouled plug.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
          Another thing... you maybe able to fix it by smearing some JB Weld inside the cover.
          Be very careful with foreign material in the engine! If you do not know what you are doing and have some of that JB Weld come loose it could partially plug your oil pick up screen and have high rev oil starvation.

I am one to avoid putting anything into an engine that doesn't belong in it so that there can be no problems. I have also heard RTV silicone isn't a wonderful idea either as loose squished out bits can plug small oil drains and stuff and cause problems.

I am not picking on katanarider, but there is a right way and wrong way to fix things. Usually hardware store goop is not the right answer, the best way is to replace damaged components.

I guess my picky in this issue is that on forums we never know who we are talking to, whether they have common sense or mechanical aptitude. If someone goes and gets some allen keys and goops a bunch of JB and silicone in their engine and craters it due to lack of knowledge, then oops on our part for our suggestions. I think with proper surface prep and cure time the JB trick could be pulled off and be fine, but the right way is a new or used cover and a new gasket.

Just sayin...

Comment

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the input, I will be taking a look at it in the morning, if I encounter any more problems I will be back, thanks again

Comment

OK, I just checked the exhaust and all are hot, it sounds very loud at idle down there, maybe one isn't firing properly... I guess will have a look at the plugs

Comment

Working...
              X