X

How to motor swap in (same) new motor pre 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to motor swap in (same) new motor pre 750

I got a frigged up 750 with a ****ty engine and found another motor for cheap. I want to swap it in the frame but want to check with you guys on how involved the swap is. I'm hopeing its a 3-5 hr job tops?

The bike is a 97 Kat 750, planning to swap in a 92 Kat 750 motor. Has starter etc all attached. BTW i don't have a shop manual yet and would like to get the bulk of it done this weekend.. can you guys help me out?

I have pulled an engine but I haven't put an engine back in. Pretty straight forward if you're mechanically inclined. I screwed some 2x4s inbetween the joists of the ceiling of my garage using very big screws. I made it sturdy enough to support the weight of the bike and using a ratcheting strap I lifted the front end up. I also supported the weight of the bike using jack stands but I think I had to get those out of my way.
    If you didn't already know you can download a manual here.

I don't know how long it will take you but I would assume a full day if you're determined to get it done.
    Here's a few pics of when I pulled the engine.

Be careful not to let the engine totally smash the oil cooler against the front wheel and fender like I did. Luckily there wasn't any damage.
    I invite you to church.

Comment

If you already have the fairings off, it can be done in a couple of hours. If it's your first time doing it, though, I'd set aside the better part of the day for it. Keep everything organized. Don't get too caught up with the electrical connections, as they can only be put together the correct way.

Pull the carbs, disconnect electricals/pull plug wires, remove the oil cooler, pull sprocket cover and chain, drop the engine, swap new engine onto the engine frame, and reverse the process.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Had the fairings off already it was an easy swap. Took 5 hours /w no fairings and no shop manual.. now the carbs are flooding...

I did end up with a loose 2 pin connector by the battery for something i think that wasnt hooked up to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by mlarivie View Post

I did end up with a loose 2 pin connector by the battery for something i think that wasnt hooked up to begin with?
          I'm WANTING to say that's the ground to the wiring harness ..... There IS an open connection down there , though . But the one coming off the ground , well , that's tyhe ground that goes to the harness .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
          X