X

Engine rev question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine rev question

When you are just riding along and coming up to a stoplight or sign and you down shift, the engine revs up a little ways, sometimes a lot depending how far you downshift. Is this burning more gas than staying in the upper gear...even if the throtle body/carbs are closed? or is it just minimal?

Well, engine braking is engine braking whether you use a lower gear or a higher gear....so in your question, the throttle would be close in both situations, and fuel use would be minimal (if I'm reading your question right)...

But, you would get more engine brake in lower gears obviously, and I think that uses more fuel than if you engine braked in a higher gear, just from a higher engine vacuum sucking fuel.

I hope you blip your throttle too when you downshift to save your tranny/clutch.

-------------

Just an after thought, but idling at 1K in my car at a stand still will burn more gas then rolling slightly at 1.5-2K, as the forward momentum will 'pull' the engine to rotate while connected with the tranny... hmmmm

Comment

yea I always blip it quick to match the rpms. I think you answered the question, I g uess I'll try to rephrase it. Are you actually useing fuel while engine breaking? or is it just minimal useage by what the engine is trying to suck in past closed throtle bodies or carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by bonstrosity
        yea I always blip it quick to match the rpms. I think you answered the question, I g uess I'll try to rephrase it. Are you actually useing fuel while engine breaking? or is it just minimal useage by what the engine is trying to suck in past closed throtle bodies or carbs?
        It isn't absolute minimal useage, because the engine vacuum is quite high in this situation (pulling harder on the pilot circuit), but the total fuel going into the engine is lower than it is anywhere except around idle.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
        X