X

replace the choke assembly

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replace the choke assembly

Well the previous ownerm or maybe the person before them decided it would be fun to completely remove the choke. I though I would do my homework before commenting, thinking there had to be some reason behind it, maybe the carbs were replaced with an autochoke or something. I did some digging and found that whoever just decided life would be better without the ability to start a motorcycle. My question is, how hard will it be to replace the missing choke, where do I even look for something like that, can I just get different carbs will they have the plates and stuff mounted on them, is it something completely seperated from the carbs and throttle assembly or could I just fabricate my own plate in the airbox to block the airflow???

Honestly, if you aren't too mechanical, you could but some for around $150 on ebay. They would at least have all the parts, and your parts make good spares. Clean them as described in countless locations here at Katriders.

There's a carb 101, a carb 102 and lots of carb threads - countless.

Honestly, a weekend job for the first timer - u just need your info and tools ready.

Comment

What exactly is missing, just the slider bar or the plungers too?
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Katanas do not have a choke (block plate in th carbs to reduce air flow)... What most people refer to as the "choke" is actually a fuel enrichment system.

You pull the cable, that slides a bar on the carbs pulling a pluger open on the top of each carb. This now allows vacuum to pull extra fuel from inside the bowls into the top of the carbs to be added to the air/fuel mixture making it richer, so it will start easier in the cold. (cold engines run better rich, hot engines run better lean).

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

hmm, that would explain why I could never come up with anything during my research. Everything is gone starting with the cable and whatever the cable attachs too. maybe I'll dig a little deeper into this issue, thanks everyone

Comment

thanks for the enlightment Krey, I thought my bike had a choke until now.
            this is the best icon eva

Comment

The little lever is easily broken off the bar assembly for the choke. When I got my Kat I had to start it with three hands and a pair of vice grips on a short bare cable. (zip tie the clutch handle in)

Took a bit to find on ebay, seemed like a commonly busted and discarded part assembly. Prices were highish and the part came up rarely on ebay used.

Comment

Working...
              X