X

not sure what to do...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not sure what to do...

picked up my first bike last august, a 95' 600. needed major carb work, so i took it to a local shop and had the carbs cleaned/resynced. i was told by the shop that someone (a previous owner) pulled the emission shtuff out and because of that, it likes to flood out. they said they tuned it the best they could and i prolly shouldnt use the choke, due to the flooding. ran good last fall, she was/is a VERY finicky starter. sometimes she liked choke, sometimes just a lil throttle and sometimes she just wouldnt start... put stabil in the tank and put it in garage for the winter. NOW, when its cold im hearing almost like a sucking sound, like theres a air leak by the carbs and im almost posative that its only running on 3 cylinders. i can grab the right center exahust while its running. its also still tricky to start.

thats the info, now the question...

what do you guys think is going on? im totally new to bikes, know a little about cars tho. is there anything i can do in the garage that you think will help? maybe a cleaner that i can run through? or should i just drop it off at the shop and open my wallet?
    sam

Originally posted by neon punk View Post
    picked up my first bike last august, a 95' 600. needed major carb work, so i took it to a local shop and had the carbs cleaned/resynced. i was told by the shop that someone (a previous owner) pulled the emission shtuff out and because of that, it likes to flood out. they said they tuned it the best they could and i prolly shouldnt use the choke, due to the flooding. ran good last fall, she was/is a VERY finicky starter. sometimes she liked choke, sometimes just a lil throttle and sometimes she just wouldnt start... put stabil in the tank and put it in garage for the winter. NOW, when its cold im hearing almost like a sucking sound, like theres a air leak by the carbs and im almost posative that its only running on 3 cylinders. i can grab the right center exahust while its running. its also still tricky to start.

thats the info, now the question...

what do you guys think is going on? im totally new to bikes, know a little about cars tho. is there anything i can do in the garage that you think will help? maybe a cleaner that i can run through? or should i just drop it off at the shop and open my wallet?
    sam
    Your carbs need work. Cleaning, and proper parts/adjustments made. I've successfully (and others have posted they as well) removed the CA Emmisions Pair stuff and was able to get the bike to run and start fine. The emmisions crap should NOT effect your bike like that... and certainly not run richer!... the CA jets and parts lean the bike out a tad. Someone didn't know what they were doing.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Your carbs need work. Cleaning, and proper parts/adjustments made. I've successfully (and others have posted they as well) removed the CA Emmisions Pair stuff and was able to get the bike to run and start fine. The emmisions crap should NOT effect your bike like that... and certainly not run richer!... the CA jets and parts lean the bike out a tad. Someone didn't know what they were doing.

Krey
      so its looking like i should drop it off at a different shop then the one who did it the first time. anybody in south eastern wisconsin got a good shop to recomend?

Comment

Originally posted by neon punk View Post
        so its looking like i should drop it off at a different shop then the one who did it the first time. anybody in south eastern wisconsin got a good shop to recomend?
        If your absolutely dead set against working on them yourself with very competent pictures and instructions on what to do.... Yes.

If not, then I would download carbs 101 and read up a little. We can help with any advice/issues.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
        X