X

Carrying a Spare clutch cable

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying a Spare clutch cable

Since getting the kat I have had a habit of buying cables in pairs..
    Need a new speedo cable? Buy two.
    So when I discovered I had three strands of cable left on the lever side I brushed it off, I was on the way home and "knew" I had a spare.
    I got home speed shifting, probably used the clutch 4 times, went to the basement:
    Hmmm Throttle, speedo, ummm oops. No clutch.
    Lukily Dennis Kirk is literally right up the street so I got the cable (well two) within 48 hours. But it got me thinking:
    I have read of people getting home after snapping a clutch cable, I don't know how, but they seem to have done it. The thought kinda terrified me.
    I remember when I started riding my brother said some of the guys he rode with zip tied spare cables along the "active" one. So I got proactive last night. I took my spare, new cable, carefully opened the bag, sprayed lube down the sleeve and around the ends. Put it back in the bag and zip tied the ends of the bag. I then made a loop with it and zip tied it to the frame under the left side panel. (there is a lot of room under there). I carry all the tools to change the cable anyway. I figure it's worth cutting it free and lubing it every once and a while. This way a snapped clutch cable makes me 10-15 minutes late for work or home, not a white knuckle ride on the freeway/side streets.

Just a little tip from your Uncle Peter..

I have a spare set of cables for the sprint, lubed with the ends tied off zip tied under the tank

I'm glad they are there... because getting British parts can be a nightmare... even though they are made in Japan.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      I'm glad they are there... because getting British parts can be a nightmare... even though they are made in Japan.
      Winston Churchill rolls in his grave..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
        Winston Churchill rolls in his grave..
        Well what do I care... so long as Lucas isn't making them anymore!
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
        X