X

Oily buildup in combustion chamber

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oily buildup in combustion chamber

I have a 2000 kat 600 and i dropped her while parking in the rain not too long ago like a noob and ever since the bike has been wierd and not starting well. It starts up with choke on but dies if i take the choke off. it will stall when I let it run and give it gas it feels like it is being flooded because though it initially will rev up if i let off the throttle once or twice and i give it some gas again it seems to just lose power after a little bit and eventually just putters out...I pulled the plugs because they are the easiest to fix and the things looked carbon fouled but were a bit shinier. They were not wet to the touch though so i dont know if it is oil or not. Anyway I shined the good ol l.e.d. flashlight in the holes and see in every single plug hole black crap and in the second from the left it was shiney and oily looking. the other three holes looked like they were much drier but were still filled with gunk. How do i get the stuff out. I assume my piston rings are messing up or something is letting oil into the chamber? and any other thoughts...

Yea, don't panic man. It's not as bad as you think. Well, we don't know at this point yaet - I think it's the carbs.

#1 Bike ran good before
    #2 you shook your gas tank up like a can of spray paint (dropped the bike)

If plugs look decent, gap them and set them aside.

If you have a compression gage, you can tell if there is ANY problem with compression - I don't think you'll need one.

Check for spark. Use a spark plug resting against something to ground it and crank it. look for spark. Again, probably not your problem.

I say you stirred up some dirt, clogged some TINY holes in the carb. It happens all the time. Cleaning them and tuning the carbs is part of regular maintenance - not out of the ordinary maintenance.

Carbs just need a tune-up.

GL

Comment

heres the skibby on the carb situation...i just cleaned them today and they didnt look bad at all. this is the current scenario i have good ngk plugs with plenty of spark but when i put them in and crank her up a few times they get fouled up with this shiny oily hard varnish looking stuff. when i test them with the crap on them there is still a spark but it is much weaker. I just cleaned them off again but i havent put them back in yet. Inside the plug holes there is all this gunk that i think is gettin on my plugs and messing them up. Hopefully someone knows a nice trick for cleaning that stuff out without some serious invasive surgery

Comment

Honestly, I just did mine and they didn't look bad at all - but #4 cylinder wasn't working. Before I freaked out, I cleaned the emulsion tubes again using a .020 wire to poke out the holes - it worked like a champ. Try using a .020 wire, carefully, on those tubes and I bet your bike straightnes right out.

Comment

so i think my air filter might be a major cluprit here. I just ordered a new one, the old one was almost black it was so gross and it was damp to touch on the paper parts. It was the original stock filter on a 2000 with 27k on it so im sure it is well overdue for a change. i started her up without the filter on at all and she ran a lot smoother, not perfect but then i havent resynched the carbs yet since i cleaned them. I think shes gonna be fine once i synch them up and get a clean filter on there.

Comment

Working...
          X