Revving issue..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revving issue..

** EDIT: More of this issue posted later in this thread! **

Alright, I've said this before on other threads I've started here, but I feel the need to say it again..

I'm have never really messed with fixing motorcycles, but I am mechanically inclined enough that I can change parts out and get everything back together the way it is suppose to be. As far is diagnosing the problem, I'm not good at. If it's got spark, air, compression, and fuel but still doesn't run right, I have no clue what's wrong with it.. SOOO! This leads me to my issue that I'm now having with my Kat (this thing seems to be problem after problem after problem)

I got my bike out of the shop, after it broke down on me, 50 miles from home. The shop changed the spark plugs, cleaned the carbs, and synced them, charged me 610 for it (I know a major rip off.. I don't want to talk about it ha ha) so I get it out of the shop, ride it 15 minutes up the road and the chain breaks. Have my buddy haul it to my house, get a new chain, blah blah blah. Alright, so now that I have it in running order again. I decide to take it out and see if the mechanic fixed everything. I rode for about 30 minutes with no issues at all, the bike was running smooth as silk. I was turning around to start heading back home, was slowing down from 55mph to pull into a parking lot to turn around. When I pulled the clutch in, the bike died. I coasted into the parking lot and started it again. When I started riding through the parking lot to get back to the road, the bike was revving up, but hardly speeding up. In 1st gear I was somewhere around 6-7k, but was only moving 5 mph. This 'slipping' feeling gets so bad, the bike doesn't even make it out of the wal-mart parking lot before it dies again. After the bike sat for a few hours, I drove back to try and get it to run long enough to get me home again. I ran goodish again for about 5 minutes before it started acting up again, and I ended up pushing my 750 kat over a mile, the rest of the way home....

I think it may be the clutch but I'm not real sure so I am coming to you guys for help. The bike is a 91 gsx750f kat with around 34,xxx miles on it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, and would help take some of the stress off my shoulders that life is throwing at me right now.

** EDIT: More of this issue posted later in this thread! **
    Last edited by Zombie Monarch; 05-24-2010, 09:51 PM.

Make sure your clutch isn't over adjusted and that you have the correct oil in the engine. What you are describing, yes the clutch is slipping. The only thing puzzling me is why it would make the bike shut off. It should slip and rev and not shut off unless there is another problem going on.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Yea, but it shouldn't have stalled either. How's the idle? Usually nice and stable?

If you're in gear, and your engine will rev up but you're not accelerating - your clutch is slipping. It shouldn't effect your idle though.

Comment

When it's slipping and revving up, it's not smooth. it sort of feels like the bike is only firing one 3 cylinders. for that time being. It did this same thing when it broke down on me, 50 miles from home and I took it to the shop.

I've ran the same oil in it the whole time I've had it and never had any issues before.

If it is the clutch, I'm going to assume I need to replace all the plates and what else?

Comment

I would check you plugs again, if your bile is dieing, you could be fouling your plugs. Besides your plugs tell you how your bike is running. Your clutch might be fine, you might actually have. Fueling issue. let us know what you do!
          Captain of Squad 11

Comment

ALLLLLLRIGHT! So, an update as far as this issue goes. Was bored and was wet-sanding my bike. Decided I would reach up and see if it would fire up and run right. To my surprise, after it died and left me pushing it for a mile, to the point where it wouldn't run, I left it to sit for 4 days and it fired right up and purred smoothly at just under a grand. I was worried the gas that was in it was bad, and I wanted to clean out the rust that was in the tank, so after it was running, I took the tank off, cleaned it, put new 94 octane gas in it that they sell at one place here in town, rode it for about 1 - 2 hours with no issues. I didn't really get on it at all, just cruised around my small town incase I was left pushing it again. Hopped onto it again today, rode it for another 2 hours and it ran fine. Parked it, then my uncle wanted to go on a short ride, so we took off. I thought my bike was running good, so I got on it a bit to make sure. Got up to 100 mph, and let out. When I let out, it started doing it's issue again where it only sounds and feels like it's firing on 3 cylinders. It was a little better, as it now ran good enough that I drove the mile back to my house, rather than pushing it. But, I'm at a loss for what's causing my bike to run like dog turds... It has new sparkplugs and caps on it. They've been on less than 2 weeks and during those 2 weeks, the bike has been broke down the whole time.

Anyone else have any ideas what's causing this mystery issue? It's like the bike will run just fine until some part inside it heats up and just decides it's not going to let the bike run right. The second I squeeze in the clutch, it's like someone hit the kill switch. It goes from 5k, to dead in the blink of an eye. No sputtering down till it dies, just bluh, dead as a door nail.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie Monarch View Post
              ALLLLLLRIGHT! So, an update as far as this issue goes. Was bored and was wet-sanding my bike. Decided I would reach up and see if it would fire up and run right. To my surprise, after it died and left me pushing it for a mile, to the point where it wouldn't run, I left it to sit for 4 days and it fired right up and purred smoothly at just under a grand. I was worried the gas that was in it was bad, and I wanted to clean out the rust that was in the tank, so after it was running, I took the tank off, cleaned it, put new 94 octane gas in it that they sell at one place here in town, rode it for about 1 - 2 hours with no issues. I didn't really get on it at all, just cruised around my small town incase I was left pushing it again. Hopped onto it again today, rode it for another 2 hours and it ran fine. Parked it, then my uncle wanted to go on a short ride, so we took off. I thought my bike was running good, so I got on it a bit to make sure. Got up to 100 mph, and let out. When I let out, it started doing it's issue again where it only sounds and feels like it's firing on 3 cylinders. It was a little better, as it now ran good enough that I drove the mile back to my house, rather than pushing it. But, I'm at a loss for what's causing my bike to run like dog turds... It has new sparkplugs and caps on it. They've been on less than 2 weeks and during those 2 weeks, the bike has been broke down the whole time.

Anyone else have any ideas what's causing this mystery issue? It's like the bike will run just fine until some part inside it heats up and just decides it's not going to let the bike run right. The second I squeeze in the clutch, it's like someone hit the kill switch. It goes from 5k, to dead in the blink of an eye. No sputtering down till it dies, just bluh, dead as a door nail.

If you had rust in your tank then you have rust in your carbs. Until you fix your tank it will be a never ending battle cleaning your carbs.
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                If you had rust in your tank then you have rust in your carbs. Until you fix your tank it will be a never ending battle cleaning your carbs.
                The carbs were cleaned twice when the spark plugs were replaced two weeks ago. And the rust in the tank was very little, I just wanted to stop it before it got worse.

Comment

I'm pulling the hose out so you can see just how kinked it is. You guys think this could have been the issue? I could feel it sucking the fuel through the line as it ran. I found out it wasn't firing as well on cylinders 1 and 2 after checking the exhaust for temps. This was the line that ran to those two carbs for fuel. I got some longer hose and am going to put it on when it stops raining in the next couple days. Let's cross our fingers for this fixing this head ache of a bike!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie Monarch View Post
                    I'm pulling the hose out so you can see just how kinked it is. You guys think this could have been the issue? I could feel it sucking the fuel through the line as it ran. I found out it wasn't firing as well on cylinders 1 and 2 after checking the exhaust for temps. This was the line that ran to those two carbs for fuel. I got some longer hose and am going to put it on when it stops raining in the next couple days. Let's cross our fingers for this fixing this head ache of a bike!
                    Definately could have been an issue.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Use 1/4" blue fuel hose, it doesn't kink easily. Also make a long looping curve rather than a short sharp one.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                        Use 1/4" blue fuel hose, it doesn't kink easily. Also make a long looping curve rather than a short sharp one.
                        I have a free supply of the regular 1/4" hose so I went and got a couple more feet. I didn't put that hose on there, my buddy did and I just now noticed it. So I've got my fingers crossed on fixing it.

Comment

After riding for 2 hours with the new fuel line, the bike has given me no issues at all. Seems that little issue was the crazy mystery issue!

Comment

Working...
                          X