X

Iridium Plugs worth it??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iridium Plugs worth it??

Ok I went searching through the threads about the iridium plugs...came up with about the same answer but no one really covered, at least in my browsing, why they are better than stock NGK's. I want to know why the stock are $2.50-$3.00(US $) and the iridium run $8-$9 a plug?

Here's the deal...I'm thinking of changing my plugs and was considering the iridium ones but want to know the benefit of using them...
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

I haven't seen the stock 98+ plugs for anything below about $4.50 a plug (hey, if you know where to get them for $2.50 - $3, PM me with that info!).

The irridiums can be marginally worthwhile. It goes like this:
    Stock plugs burn off fouling in a specific heat range. It takes a while to get to that temp. If the plugs are fouling, they are loading up before reaching that temp, or never reaching that temp, or are loading up more than the burn-off can handle.
    Irridium plugs get up to temp slightly faster (about 10% faster), spark a little hotter, and have a slightly wider temp range in which they burn off fouling, thus on a Kat that is mechanically sound, they should last a bit longer (but not astoundingly longer).

Hence, it's a toss-up. Personally, I haven't bothered to use them, because I'm pretty much changing plugs every valve adjustment come hell or high-tide (preventative maint) and the stock plugs haven't given me any grief in that distance. Hence, for me, it doesn't make much sense to throw more $$ at it.

On the other hand, if they were only $1 or $1.50 extra, I'd probably buy them.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cyber and Prince...
      Thank you for the response as for the price of the plugs I was looking at cyclegear.com...for the pre 96 the plug number is DR8ES and they run $2.89 and the iridium are DR8EIX and run $8.99 but for the 96 to 04 models they take the CR9EK and they run $9.59 for standard and CR9EIX which are the iridium...now this doesn't make sense but they run $9.50... ...don't get it but I checked with the NGK site and Cyclegear site and the iridium are cheaper than the standard...Oh well see for yourselves..

do a search under "plug"
      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Dennis kirk has the dr8es plugs or $2.50
        PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
        The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

I got some from the dealer (was in a pinch) for 9$ each - damn thieves! hahaha

Comment

i use them, i was in the process of fine tuning so i wanted a plug that could deal with rich spots until i got the tuning dialed in. i would buy them again ( on sale ) .

tim

Comment

I got my NGK CR9EK plugs at O'Reilly Auto Parts for $3.99 each.

Comment

I have about 6700 miles on my 04 kat all my mods are listed in my signature below. Lately I have noticed it getting a bit sluggish lately and I believe it is partly due to my plugs getting worn out. I am coming up on my 7500 mile service and was debating using the iridium plugs. I use them in my car and I swear by them in a car. I dont mind the high price as long as they do make some difference even if it is small. I will post after my service which should be in a couple weeks.
                2004 Katana 600
                D&D carbon fiber slip-on
                Factory ignition advancer
                K&N Filter
                Dynojet jet kit

Comment

I need to get plugs and I haven't used the iridium plugs on the Kat yet. I must atleast try them, I have used them for other bikes that have had issue's with rich conditions
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceThaine
                    I have bought pulgs from SparkPlugs.com on and off. Here are their prices:

DR8EIX - $6.95 each
                    DR8ES - $2.24 each
                    CR9EK - $6.23 each
                    CR9EIK - $6.95 each
                    how were they to deal with, customer service, shipping, etc ?

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                      I need to get plugs and I haven't used the iridium plugs on the Kat yet. I must atleast try them, I have used them for other bikes that have had issue's with rich conditions
                      Huh , intesting . I ALWAYS seem to have problems with my mix . Now 3 cylinders look about right (for once ) , but one still has a problem I can't seem to figure out (the plug always looks fouled or close to it) . Wonder what would happen if I put in just ONE iridium plug . Ok , discuss .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Well I finally got around to doing my 7500 mile service and I did go with the iridium plugs. I picked up the ngk cr9eix at advance auto for $6.95 a plug. They did have to get them but they had them for me the next day. I have to say I am quite impressed with them. All that I did to the bike is adjust the valves change the fuel filter and change my plugs and it is almost like a different bike when i open it up now. Im sure a lot of the power gain I feel is power lost due to the valves needing adjustment and the plugs being worn but I like to think that the iridium plugs helped some too. I will probably use them in it from now on as I do with my car.......
                        2004 Katana 600
                        D&D carbon fiber slip-on
                        Factory ignition advancer
                        K&N Filter
                        Dynojet jet kit

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                          Wonder what would happen if I put in just ONE iridium plug . Ok , discuss .
                          It would mean you used a DENSO, since NGK doesn't offer an irridium plug for a pre-96 750 (JR9C). Then the question would be "where the hell did you find a denso?"

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ah , but I e-mailed NGK and asked for an iridium replacement for the JR9C , and they sent me on the hunt for a DR9EIX . I looked up the specs (size,reach, all that good junk) , and it seems to be pretty much the same , except for having a single electrode instead of the dual (stock) . Got some on the way thanks to another board member . I did find PN's for the Denso , but since I've found a source for the NGK's (or rather , he found ME) , I'll stick with NGK .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Given the NGK part numbering scheme, that makes sense...

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X