X

Time for a new petcock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a new petcock

Well if it isn't one thing, it is another...

So the day before yesterday I was working on the bike with the gas tank off, when my puppy decided he wanted to play with me... In his 60lbs of excitement, he knocked the gas tank off the stand I had it on. It only fell about a foot, but rolled over two or three times. I checked it, and did not see any damage, so when I finished with the bike, I reassembled.

When I got home later that night, I noticed a huge puddle of gas coming from the left side of the bike, it was a steady drip. I disconnected the gas line from the petcock to the carbs, thinking that one of the floats had stuck...again. When I came out in the morning however, it was still leaking. I found that the gas was coming from the petcock, it leaks from the gas line with it being set to prime, and ON.

Do I need to buy a new petcock, or just get a rebuild kit? Either way, where is a good source to get them?

Thanks

Dang man, those four legged friends of ours! Such a pain some times, but so worth it. Sorry bro, that sucks. I don't think the petcocks are that expensive, but some one here will chime in. Not sure on the rebuild kits.

Comment

have you ever taken the petcock apart? you may just need to push the knob back into the petcock body..i didnt get mine seated right and it came loose. if the knob wiggles at all this is probably the problem.
      Originally posted by Slofuze:
      Some people simply talk sh*t because they don't know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, they reproduce.....and why we have sh*t all around us.

Comment

Most likely just a rebuild will work. Won't know for sure until you take it off and inspect it for dmg.

Rebuild kits are avaialbe from a variety of places, check with some of the KR vendors for example.

Also there is carbkitscapital.com, ebay, etc...

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I took the petcock apart, and honestly I have no idea what I am looking for. Nothing looks broken or cracked.

Any clues as to why it leaked gas hours after I put things back together, and not immediately?

Comment

Lots of possibles, none of which I could narrow down without inspecting/seeing the situation. Gas eating through the paint and seaping around it, bad oring, poorly seated oring, dirt/junk interfering with the oring seat, etc...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
            X